cheap flash

minister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally I would be concerned about a flash of that quality possibly hurting your camera?

Others know much more about equipment so they can help more but.. I would be cautious.. you could make some homemade aluminum foil reflectors and learn about reflecting available light until you can save for a good off-brand flash,

Promaster 5750DX
- the Promaster site price (~150$) is much higher than you can find it, that's why i linked the local store i purchased mine. its ~50$ and I would feel much better about that quality over the one you linked.

*they make Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Olympus units

i paid 320bucks for my canon flash and i couldnt appreciate it more. quality!!

Both speedlights you linked to have little output power, actually no more power than your D5000's built-in strobe light, which is why they are so cheap. A speedlight's GN number (Guide Number) describes it's power output.
Guide number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They will work on your D5000 but the YONGNUO says it will do TTL.

Strobed light (flash) is most effective when the light source is not on the camera, Off-Camera-Flash (OCF).

Visit Strobist: Lighting 101.

The least expensive speedlight I am willing to use is the Vivitar 285HV.
Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 - B&H Photo Video

YongNuo. Have a few photography friends that swear by them.

YN460II and YN560 I believe.

i bought a quantaray for a canon at my local pawn for $40 to use with my nikon lol.
i always use it off cam and its been quite possibly the best $40 piece of photog equipment ive purchased.

The pop up on my D90 is pretty powerful as a fill light, and can be adjusted with much more precision than the manual one I bought. LP160 from mpex.com. If you're looking for a manual flash that should also be considered along with the Vivtar and YungNuo

Thank you all for u r valuable suggestions

Most reactions

Back