Cheap Medium Format

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been interested in playing with some medium format recently, but don't have anywhere near the money to get any of the nice cameras. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cheap MF cameras. I'm looking at a Lubitel 166. Does anyone have any experince with this camera? Anyone know of any other really cheap MF cameras (i'm finding these for 10-30 dollars on ebay.

I know I'll sound like a broken record... but look for a yashica TLR. Either the D, EM, LM, or 124G.
I got a D on ebay for $50, MDowdey got one for under $50 and his came with the sharper Yashinon lens. With either lens, it will be much sharper than the lubitel.

The Lubitel will be pretty plasticky, but actually does an impressive job for what it is. But I agree with Vood, if you could find a nice Yashica you'd probably be better off. For under $20 the Lub isn't too bad a deal.

Other cheaper MF TLR cameras are:
Minolta Autocord
Rolliecord
Rolleiflex (usually $300+, but I found one at a garage sale for $150 so keep your eyes peeled)
Mamiya C22, C33, C220, C330 (the C22 and C220 usually go pretty cheap)

If you are used to a 35mm SLR, you will find a TLR fairly easy to use. If you are a little more adventurous, you can try the MF folders. Sometimes they have rangefinders, sometimes it's just you estimating focus distances. The learning curve is steeper than for a TLR, but there are many very cheap models out there (as low as $15 or $20) that take a great pic. I've been using an Ansco Titan 6x6 folder (my avatar) for a while now with my family snaps, and I love it. It took 30 or 40 rolls to really get used to it (mainly the estimation focusing), and it's not for all kinds of photography, but like I said, it was cheap. I have three of them now, and I paid $15, $40, an $70 for them, averages out to about $40 a piece.

Edit: obviously you aren't looking to spend a lot of money, but just a heads up: Bronic MF SLRs are great cameras and going cheap used these days. I've seen nice ones go for $300 with a lens, WL finder, and a film back. That's amazing for a MF SLR.

This may be a really silly question so bear with me......
With medium format, processing it yourself is the only option right?

Patrick said:
This may be a really silly question so bear with me......
With medium format, processing it yourself is the only option right?
No, any real lab can process 120 film.

Man I've been trying to get a Yashica on ebay for a while and everytime they end up selling for over $100...

The search continues!

alright, i've done a little digging on ebay and i've foudn a few that have caught my eye. I have a few questions about this medium format thing. I've heard some words thrown around that I don't completely understand. So i'm wondering if these have film backs or if that is going to be a different buy, and do they have interchangeable lenses (just in case i happen to fall in love)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30037&item=3832009937&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3354&item=3831673321&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4701&item=3832289603&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

thanks for the help

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are a lot of medium format cameras out there. Probably some of the least expensive right now are the Chinese SeaGull TLR (Twin Lens Reflex). These are copies of the Yashica TLR series. I believe most of the TLR's take 120 or 120/220 film, 6x6 (2.25"x2.25"). These do not have interchangeable lens but did have auxillary lenes, wide and telephoto, though are very hard to find.

Some of the Mamiya TLRs (C series) took interchangeable lenses.

A lot of the "compact press" cameras have interchangeable lenses and interchangeable film backs. I used to use the Mamiya Super 23 with Mamiya 6x7 (2.25"x2.75"). You just have to remember to cock the shutter, advance the film, and remove the dark slide before shooting. Outstanding cameras.

Several manufactures of 6.45 size had interchangeable lenses and backs like the Pentax 645 and the Bronica 645.

Hasselblad made a medium format SLR in 6x6. Again interchangeable lenes and film backs. The Mamiya RB67/RZ67 is another SLR with interchangeable lenses and film backs. Like the Mamiya compact press the film backs were made in 6x7 or 6x6 or 6x4.5.

If you don't do your own processing then your pretty much looking at a pro lab for film processing and printing. Most of the amatuer labs don't process anything more than 35mm or APS.

And if you want a real thrill - not much beats medium format black and white and doing your own darkroom work. Wish I had the room for it.

The Yashica TLRs are self contained.

Another camera people might want to check out is the Koni Omega Rapid. It's a 6x7 rangefinder press camera with interchangable backs and lenses. I borrowed one from a friend of mine and enjoyed using it. The only real danger is that when you advance the film, people might think you are pulling the slide of a semi-auto pistol. It might be similarly priced to the Yashicas, but you do have to pay attention to what you are getting with the body, since the back and lens comes off.

Hi everyone!

Im a newbie to this forum but have found it ever so informative. I could not help but toss my few dimes in...

The Holga is a great camera for the price. It is a toy but OH MAN can you get some amazing photos from it. It was my first med. format camera and it's still one of my favs.

I have a Ziess Ikon Nettar 517 that takes great photos that I paid $23 on ebay. I've since picked up filters, close up lenses, and lens hoods all with cases for the lot for great prices (be sure to search outside the US for better prices). I've spent about $70 total on it. Granted it is a RF and I had to do a mega shutter cleaning but it was easily worth it PLUS I got to open up a shutter ring for the first time and learn a few things. It works like new now.

One thing though- it quickly pushed me to buy a Rolleiflex TLR for $155 on ebay that luckily was in fantastic shape. It has literally changed how I look at photography- no pun intended. I love the hell out of this camera!! My advice is to save up a bit longer and wait it out on ebay because a good camera is a good friend. Think German performance because it is a workhorse of a camera and is pretty much indestructable. Filters and the like are expensive but again you are getting quality equipment.

The only problem I've found with my recent migration to medium format is that now I want a view camera. I can't help it. The detail of large format makes my mouth water. I''m thinking about a field camera purchase because of the transportation bit but I dont want a RF- anyone here have any suggestions?

Most reactions

Back