Cheap ND filters from eBay, free shipping from Hong Kong... no good? :P

Never buy cheap filters.

most Japanese knock-offs are much higher quality than those of some other countries.

lol as someone who lives in japan for over half of each year, in my experience the Japanese do not 'knock off' anything, they investigate and research and then create their own designs. Toyoda imported a Chev, dismantled and rebuilt it, and very soon had designed his own, complete vehicle using the information he learnt from the imported Chevy... not a copy, but a new vehicle based on what he'd learnt from the Chevy. There's a big difference.

Where do you think 'ni-ko-n' and 'ka-no-n' came from? Tamron is a Japanese company as is Sigma, in fact Sigma lenses are still made in Japan (a fact they are very proud of, and should be). Japan definitely does not 'knock off' things.

That was kind of my point! Even inexpensive Japanese engineered items perform very well, typically... even if they are direct copies of something else. I drive only Honda or Toyota.... there is a reason for that! :)

Just recently (literally about 4 days ago), my Hoya 32x (6-stop) Pro1 solid 77mm ND came in the mail, as well as my slim B+W circular polarizer. I have used the el-cheapo filters in the past and got the exact same type images as you're getting here. So, I bit the bullet and went with the good stuff. Lenses get replaced, camera bodies get replaced. Filters will last forever if you don't break them. So, $120 for some great glass to go infront of my other great glass was a hit to the gut, but felt more like a pat on the back. :thumbsup:

Anyhow, the magenta tint is something widely known to accompany the subpar filters. Generally, it's very hard to get rid of, if possible at all. It looks like, with yours, maybe because you stacked all three, maybe because they're poor filters, or probably both, you've lost ALL of the detail out of your photo. There's barely any definition to ANYTHING in the photo. I made this mistake when I purchased a Massa 720nm infrared filter. The shots were literally completely stripped of their detail. even at F/16.

Yes, the camera should work the same exact way with the filters on as it did when they were off. Just as if it were a few stops darker outside.

You made a point that you can only afford the "Ford" models of filters. Well, now you've already spent $30, and are getting ready to spend more on different filters. Ones which you still don't know if they will work well. That's quickly adding up to the cost of my Hoya Pro 1 6-stop ND I paid $46, free shipping for.

I'd also suggest going the better quality route. It'll save you alot of time, money, and hassle in the long run.

Mark

Thanks markw, you're right. For $30 I got rubbish and now I have to spend a while trying to get my money back etc.... but for $100 I can get a quality filter and stepper rings for my smaller lenses and avoid all that drama.

The only reason I leaned towards the cokin style was the interchangeability between lenses but if I buy large enough filters to cover all the lens sizes I plan to or may possibly purchase in the next few years then I'll be sweet. **** I could probably look at 100mm Step-down rings are a lot cheaper than filters :)

Thanks for that

Just remember if you do alot of landscape photography, the cokin P system will vignette with anything under 28mm (FX) or 18mm (DX) I believe. The Cokin Z system are what you're going to have to use to get around that, and the filters for that system can get quite costly.

Mark

For sunsets, you're probably going to want the more exotic graduated ND. The kind that have the darkest part in the center, and get less dense from there both up and down. I believe they're called center graduated NDs, but don't quote me on that. With a traditional GND on this particular shot, you would have a very dark sky, lighter foreground and still a bright sunset because the darkest part is on the top of the filter, and the center is essentially getting the least exposure reduction, with the top of the frame getting the most.

Mark

Most reactions

Back