Cheap Nikon Clones

A/Ox4

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Yonguno has recently released some clone lenses of Canon lenses, like the Canon 50mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.8, for around half that of the Canon price. In recent testing, these lenses seem to our perform the Canon originals in many aspects.

They are rumored to get some Nikon lenses out by the end of 2015. Would you buy these?

Yongnuo Will Unveil Cheaper Clones of Nikon Lenses Before the End of 2015

At those prices, I would certainly buy one or two to try, but they're at that price point for a reason, and I suspect that the use of the term 'out perform' may be a bit optimistic.

Well in the tests I've seen of the Canon clones, they performed as well, and in some cases, marginally better than the Canon originals. If they can match Nikon quality, it would be great.

Typically, cheaper materials are used, less overhead (R&D/advertising/et al) and a significantly lower profit margin makes up the price differences. My main concern would be the robust aspect of the lenses. Being rather hard on my equipment, robust is important to me. I have used third party lenses, Sigma & Rokinon, with success ... so I'd seriously check them out. (If I was shooting professionally I'd be reluctant to use them if the lenses were significantly of lesser quality build-wise. But as a hobbyist, sure, and spend the difference on a photo expedition.)

"outperform" is not the real consideration.
"perform well enough for my usage" is more appropriate.

Sounds like a great promotional campaign. "Yongnuo Lenses. They don't completely suck."

why not?
do you drive the absolute best car?
OR, do you drive what works for you in your budget?
its the same thing really.

ive been using yongnuo flashes and triggers for a while now...since the 622n and 568EX's first came out. never had a problem with any of them.
I cant see any significant reason to spend twice the money on SB900's or 3 times the money on pocket wizards...(since i dont need 300 meter range or 52 channels)

if their lenses are the same, i would definitely consider them.
the same way i consider Tamron or Sigma

Sounds like a great promotional campaign. "Yongnuo Lenses. They don't completely suck."

why not?

I happen to drive the absolute top end highest quality piece of crap vehicle that I could afford to buy at the time. I'll see if I can get some pictures using my yongnuo flash at some point.. lol

why not?

ive been using yongnuo flashes and triggers for a while now...since the 622n and 568EX's first came out. never had a problem with any of them.
I cant see any significant reason to spend twice the money on SB900's or 3 times the money on pocket wizards...(since i dont need 300 meter range or 52 channels)

if their lenses are the same, i would definitely consider them.
the same way i consider Tamron or Sigma
I can't afford the absolute best car. I can afford a top-of-the-line, second-to-none, Nikkor or Canon lens. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning the best, unless you have to sacrifice something important like baby diapers or medicine in order to attain that object. Giving up a year of Starbucks may make that purchase even more special. It shows a passion to give up something for your photography.

Conversely, there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a less expensive, third party lens. It shows a wisdom of spending well and/or of knowing how photography fits in your life.

Seems like the second coming of reasonably good quality offbrand lenses--all reminiscent of the sweet Kirons, Tokinas and Tamrons of yore. Have shot some of the MF Rokinons and was impressed by the price/quality quotient. Brand worship doesn't always pay.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning the best, unless you have to sacrifice something important like baby diapers or medicine in order to attain that object. Giving up a year of Starbucks may make that purchase even more special. It shows a passion to give up something for your photography.

Conversely, there is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a less expensive, third party lens. It shows a wisdom of spending well and/or of knowing how photography fits in your life.

OK, my kids do not need diapers, and prescription medicine is cheap as chips in UK, so I think I can splash on lenses and go broke.

On a serious note Santa brought me FUJINON 56 mm f/1.2, 10-24 f/4 and 55-200 f/3,5 - 4,7 this year. All three are wonderful lenses, top notch and better than anything Nikon I owned. And I doubt Yonguno will start manufacturing cheap clones of FUJI FX, it is a very small niche. Same with Leica.

I think people are making the wrong comparison here.
i dont really believe it will be between nikon/canon and Yongnuo...
because honestly, most people that have the money for OEM, will probably buy it.
there's little doubt that the OEM lenses are "better". its not usually a matter of quality that keeps people
from buying nikon or canon lenses, its money.
so its really a matter of third party comparisons, for the people that don't have $2500 for a lens.
I think it will be a matter of how Yongnuo compares to the Tamron and Sigma offerings.
Yongnuo isnt likely to sway anyone that is all set to buy a canon or nikon lens, but instead, they will look to grab a portion of the people looking at other third party gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back