Cheap strobe and umbrella setup

LesFraser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've just brought my first speedlight, a YONGNUO YN-560II. As you can tell im on a budget. I've found a really cheap strobe and umbrella kit on fleabay and i was wondering is it worth it? I find it hard to judge good from bad when there are so many styles, wattages colours ect. I'm doing this as a hobby but myself and my wife really enjoy it.

Here is the link to the kit- Photography Studio Flash Strobe Lighting 32'' Umbrella Stand 45w Bulb | eBay

I've never seen those before, interesting.

I see two potential issues... #1) 45ws is not a lot of light (but doubled w/ two heads to 90ws is a little better but now casts two shadows), and #2) they don't give a range of adjustment, leading me to believe they are always full power.

Others will have to fill in the extent to which these matter, but I couldn't see myself being satisfied with them for very long.

It'd work for product photography, where you can use longer exposures and the subject isn't moving. For portraits of humans though, continuous lighting setups are not so good.

You would soon hate this kit. Besides the low power output that Buckster mentioned, you can't adjust the power on these so what you get is what you get. You will drive yourself bananas trying to create nice shadows and subtle lighting.

Trust me over the years I have spent more money than I will ever tell my wife on stuff like this trying to get by on the cheap.
The Yongnuos have a good reputation and will give you way more light and flexibility. Buy a light stand, cheap radio triggers, an umbrella and a reflector will run you about the same as the kit you have listed and you can use your speedlite with it and have a system you can use for many years.

Thank you for the great replys, you've saved me buying this kit :)

I've brought a set of RF603 triggers and i think i'll end up with the above kit that Greybeard has posted if not similar. So i can have a go with my new speedlight.

Many thanks to all for the input :)

Most reactions

Back