"Cheap" Studio kits - worth it?

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
there are a few starter studio kits that have taken my interest over the past few weeks though I'm wondering whether it's worth saving the money for a bowens set up? my budget is £300/$530 absolute tops at the mo and have seen a few used set ups around but not a huge choice within my budget as you might expect.

I am looking for a set up along the lines of the bowens espirit gemini kits. 2 heads, stands, brollies, soft box, case. 250 Watts will suffice.

Any recommendations? I want to use the kit primarily for portraiture.

Thanks

Strictly speaking, flash power should be measured in Joules because you are stating how much energy is stored and that's what Joules measure. But they are sort of equivalent as a Watt is 1 Joule/sec. I'm just nit-picking.

You would do better to get the most powerful flash you can afford - 250 is quite limiting in terms of output. And a 500 used at half-power recycles a lot quicker.
Have a look at second hand kits. You can get a bargain. Stick with Bowens as they are robust and easily fixed. You can still get spares for most of them.

thanks hertz. I've trawled the net for used bowens lights and it's really hard. Ebay only has the odd light which will cost me a fortune buying things individually. i guess i'll just have to save....

IdeaGeneratorSheet.jpg

yes i know it's tacky...

thanks hertz

Most reactions

Back