Cheap tricks

I use women's hose as a diffuser. Getting them to remove their hose is interesting though :p

Cool idea about the film canisters! I have some different coloured clear plastic pill bottles (I work at a Pharmaceutical company), I'm gunna make me some funky flash defusers!

I kick up dust to enhance light rays coming in from a window, or hole in a roof. I also used an 81/2" X 11" sheet of paper as a diffuser for my grip-flash - used three staples and a piece of tape, worked like a charm.

I'm such a cheapskate. I totally need to try the film canister thing.

Glad I could help. And yes, film canisters are real lol. And yes again, I did shoot through a roll of film to obtain my canister, I'm not like all the other 18 year olds who think film was replaced by digital in the 70s or something.

I have a Kodak Easy Share 330....any tricks or tips that I can do with that?

I'm such a cheapskate. I totally need to try the film canister thing.
I tried it last night. It tended to under expose a lot, I suspose it's within the range of adjustment, but I'm going to see if I can find a more transparent canister lying around.

Yes outside I couldn't bounce my flash, so I decided to abuse the fact a person was standing next to me with a white shirt and gave him a full power bust into his chest.

Cheap reflector :D

Photography has been around so long that there are very few "original" ideas left.

That said, I saw someone take a small frosted tupperware bowl and turn it into a diffuser that gave quite a pleasant result.

Photography has been around so long that there are very few "original" ideas left.

That said, I saw someone take a small frosted tupperware bowl and turn it into a diffuser that gave quite a pleasant result.

Umm.... You mean a Gary Fong diffuser :p

I find a lot of DIY studio equipment ideas on youtube, one of my favorites is the "stick in a can" idea.

Basically you fill an empty paint can with cement and put a 'stick' (a 1x2 piece of wood is what they suggest) in it. The sticks can be various sizes, depending on what you want to do with them. The trick is to make sure the stick is placed right against the side of the can instead of in the middle. Now you have a cheap, weighted stand that you can clamp small stuff to, like homemade diffusion frames or lightweight lights.

If you search for prophotolife on youtube they have a few videos about studio photography and they mostly use very inexpensive materials. Very helpful to a beginner!

Most reactions

Back