Cheaper option for the Gemini 500R Head (UK)?

supersurfindude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
Does anyone know where I can purchase Monolight heads at a better price than the Bowen Gemini 500R (currently £399 ea.)?

Thanks, Al.

Do you mean purchase the Gemni head for less? No. Do you mean any monolight? Sure... eBay's filled with cheap, off-shore junk. You can pick up 300 w/s units for $89! Would I trust them? NO! If you want the best bargain in lighting, look for a used pack & head system. I recently picked up a Speedotron Brownline 3-head set w/ 800 w/s powerpack for $750ish (including shipping, taxes & import duty). There's nowhere else you're going to get that quality for that price.

Thanks tirediron. Was just looking on eBay. I know exactly what you mean by cheap junk. I'm not a fan of buying NEW on eBay anyway, only use it for seconds on auction.

I have another question: When it comes to lighting a studio for product photography what brands would you choose from for your heads?

I can't speark for Lencarta, 'though the products certainly look good. As for what I would choose, I like pack & head systems; a LOT more bang for the buck, and much easier to control, BUT it depends a LOT on what sort of products you're lighting. Speedlights might be more than sufficient for small products, infrequently shot, but if you're shooting larger items, (adult clothing and bigger) I would want studio lights of some sort. As I said earlier, I am a BIG Speedotron fan, but that's probably not as practical in the UK.

I can't speark for Lencarta, 'though the products certainly look good. As for what I would choose, I like pack & head systems; a LOT more bang for the buck, and much easier to control, BUT it depends a LOT on what sort of products you're lighting. Speedlights might be more than sufficient for small products, infrequently shot, but if you're shooting larger items, (adult clothing and bigger) I would want studio lights of some sort. As I said earlier, I am a BIG Speedotron fan, but that's probably not as practical in the UK.

Safari Li-on Portable flash system

Most reactions

Back