Cheaper option for the Gemini 500R Head (UK)?

supersurfindude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
Does anyone know where I can purchase Monolight heads at a better price than the Bowen Gemini 500R (currently £399 ea.)?

Thanks, Al.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
Do you mean purchase the Gemni head for less? No. Do you mean any monolight? Sure... eBay's filled with cheap, off-shore junk. You can pick up 300 w/s units for $89! Would I trust them? NO! If you want the best bargain in lighting, look for a used pack & head system. I recently picked up a Speedotron Brownline 3-head set w/ 800 w/s powerpack for $750ish (including shipping, taxes & import duty). There's nowhere else you're going to get that quality for that price.

OP
S

supersurfindude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks tirediron. Was just looking on eBay. I know exactly what you mean by cheap junk. I'm not a fan of buying NEW on eBay anyway, only use it for seconds on auction.

I have another question: When it comes to lighting a studio for product photography what brands would you choose from for your heads?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
I can't speark for Lencarta, 'though the products certainly look good. As for what I would choose, I like pack & head systems; a LOT more bang for the buck, and much easier to control, BUT it depends a LOT on what sort of products you're lighting. Speedlights might be more than sufficient for small products, infrequently shot, but if you're shooting larger items, (adult clothing and bigger) I would want studio lights of some sort. As I said earlier, I am a BIG Speedotron fan, but that's probably not as practical in the UK.

gsgary

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Photos OK to edit
I can't speark for Lencarta, 'though the products certainly look good. As for what I would choose, I like pack & head systems; a LOT more bang for the buck, and much easier to control, BUT it depends a LOT on what sort of products you're lighting. Speedlights might be more than sufficient for small products, infrequently shot, but if you're shooting larger items, (adult clothing and bigger) I would want studio lights of some sort. As I said earlier, I am a BIG Speedotron fan, but that's probably not as practical in the UK.

Safari Li-on Portable flash system

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics