Cheapest dslr camera?

The OP probably has a job now flipping burgers or selling theater popcorn, but is probably instead making auto insurance payments. In 2009, it's unlikely you could find a sub-200$ dslr, short of a DCS.

You can get a new Nikon D3000 for $450. You can buy used ones around $350.

I think the best bang for your buck is the 50D, 300D in the $600 range and a700 in the sub-$450 range.

These low end bodies are a serious ripoff sold to inexperienced photographers who have no idea what to look for in a DSLR.

Last edited:
Dear Death of Internet Forums,

Please take this thread away to a place where it can rest peacefully.

Sincerely,
Village Idiot™

Nikon D100. plenty on ebay for under $200.

Nikon D100 Camera with MB D100 Grip 0018208252060 | eBay
Nikon D100 6 1 MP Digital SLR Camera w Vertical Grip Black Body Only 0018208252060 | eBay
Nikon D100 6 1 MP Digital SLR Camera Body Only 0018208252060 | eBay

cheap lenses are plentiful on ebay as well.
D100 is older, but is more than sufficient for a beginner. built in focus motor lets you AF older lenses, and it shoots RAW.

EDIT: finally noticed the date of the original post. oh well. suckered again.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dear Death of Internet Forums,

Please take this thread away to a place where it can rest peacefully.

Sincerely,
Village Idiot™
Grim-adventures-of-Billy-and-Mandy-013.jpg

Nikon d1h can be had for around $150. Don't let the low megapixel fool you, the d1h can out resolve many cameras with four times its advertised resolution. Low light performance is also good for an older dslr, very respectible at 1600 iso.

Don't let the low megapixel fool you

While I was certainly suprised by the the D1H resolution test, and I know from experience that this doesn't always mean real-world sharpness (my a700 is WAY sharper than my a350, which according to dpreview had more optical resolve), I'm a bit skeptical by this assertion.

The EOS 8mp 350D
Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT/ Kiss n Digital Review: Digital Photography Review

The 2.75mp 1Dh
Nikon D1H Review: Digital Photography Review

Certainly, the 1Dh performs well for under 3mp, but not nearly as well as yesterdays consumer DSLR. Though I am sure it's a WAY better body.

Get yourself an entry level Pentax, they're much cheaper than any Nikon or Canon and mostly just as good if not better suited to your needs. I'm a Nikon shooter but it is true that you pay up to 40% more for the brand name.

Buy refurbished directly from canon.

Snag a canon eos rebel t3i for a mere $400.

Ijust bougjt a canon 60d refurbished!

Most reactions

Back