Checking the picture

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Kind of a stupid question, but I was taught to always review your photo before you move on. I try to make sure composition, lighting, focus are all good. However, in most outdoor setting I can't see anything on the LCD screen. Today I went to the car and went back to the scene, but I wasn't far away. Any tips, or is it just me?

Something like this? Really though, you're best bet is to develop your eye so that it sees the issues BEFORE you trip the shutter.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
To chimp or not to chimp, that be the question

Whether nobler to suffer the anguish of the failed shot,

Or suffer the slings and arrows of those who would

Chastise you for sneaking a peak.

Thanks. I didn't even know those hoods existed. One more thing to buy. Lol.

The big question is what are you checking???? As Tirediron said above most issues can be avoided before the shutter click. I do check the my LCD occasionally to check the histogram, as I'm always looking for maximum data.

As a beginner, I am checking everything. Histogram, what kind of photo did I get with those settings? Trying to see what the various settings are doing to the photo- did I get blur with the water like I wanted, etc. In the gusty wind today I was trying to see if the focus was clear. Just playing around and trying to see what the results are. I even got one with my hair blowing across the screen today! That type of thing.

Maybe the LCD brightness level is set too low for outdoor, bright-day reviewing of photos. Check into the LCD's brightness setting level, which is user-settable.

Don't use the image to evaluate exposure, but use the LCD screen's histogram and or/ blinkies, to help you determine the right exposure. After a while, you'll get better at evaluating exposure. But yeah, evaluating the success of compositions, focus, and shutter speed or DOF effects, all very useful.

After some time, you'll need to review less and less, yet still--it can pay dividends, to see what you're "getting" compared against what you're "seeing" through the viewfinder. This is especially helpful on timing of specific types of action shots!

Last edited:
I just shade it with my hand and have a quick squint, mainly to check composition and the histogram but you could put it under your jacket or something too. As others have mentioned, don't use the LCD to check exposure.

Yes, looking at the screen in the sunlight is frustrating.
Which is why I HATE P&S cameras that do not have a viewfinder, hard to use in the sun.

You need to shoot enough to learn to trust your gear.
I've told this to my yearbook photographers. I even have a shot of one chimping, and a basket being made right in front of him. And of course since he was chimping, he missed the shot.

I do a few test shots at the start of a shoot, to verify exposure; looking at the image and histogram.
Sometimes I have weird lighting that I have to deal with, and I have to change exposure or exposure mode.
Once exposure is good, I ignore the screen.

Put your body or head between the sun and the rear LCD to put the screen in shadow.

I was never taught to always review my images before moving on. By "review" I think you are referring to chimping and not reviewing all the factors before pushing the shutter button. Sometimes a test shot is part of the initial review process.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I have been so busy I haven't touched the camera since the day I asked the question. Other reasons to check the picture-is the dogs ears still up, did the kids blink,etc. I even had a snowflake right in front of my daughters eye!
I'll check all the above suggestions.

I guess having been brought up with film, where we could not check the shot image, I learned to "try" to be careful before I press the shutter.

I have trouble really doing a check on that small screen.
There are only a few things that I can easily check;
  • general exposure (Am I close enough, or do I have to make an adjustment. Usually it is dealt with in the pre-shoot testing, but sometimes I get the screwy ones; like the reflection of the sun off a shiny metal bench that then drives the entire image dark and useless.)
  • something major that I did not notice before pressing the shutter (like the telephone pole or tree coming out of the top of a persons head or the person in the background in a distracting orange dress).
Image details have to wait till I can view it on the desktop monitor.

One reason for shooting several shots it to try to deal with those shots with some of the problems you mentioned.
It is like in a group photo, someone will have their eyes closed, looking the wrong way, etc.
So you shoot several shots, in hopes that one will be good.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I have been so busy I haven't touched the camera since the day I asked the question. Other reasons to check the picture-is the dogs ears still up, did the kids blink,etc. I even had a snowflake right in front of my daughters eye!
I'll check all the above suggestions.

What camera? Some of the mirrorless with electronic viewfinders, you can review the photo right through the viewfinder so glare is not an issue.

Most reactions

Back