Checkmate C&C

Brutus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
First, here it is on Flickr (I like to see my viewcount rising, sorry): Flickr: curtisa.fowler's Photostream

And the picture:

4833834396_7df5a45984_b.jpg

It's titled "Checkmate" because the king in the background has indeed just lost, leaving the emphasis on the winning king in the foreground. I just thought it looked good in B&W, I'd love some C&C on it.

Really Really like this shot - especially since it is in B&W
The idea is great - love the focus on the king in the front - and the background - did you fold up the chess board?

Nice work!!

Cool set-up. But those socks at the end of your bed on the floor........ :shock: !!!

Yes, dirty socks...Sorry, should've cleaned up my room, I guess :/ Let me just use some photoshop mastery here...

p1060142h.jpg

Believe me when I say I am no expert, but my eye was expecting more color contrast between the KINGS....they look the same color and therefore for me loosing the dynamic of opposing forces, your placement; setup such interest.. WOW!!! Thanks for including the setup.

I like this shot.

It plays tricks with size and scale, the pieces seem larger than they really are.

Very cool imo.

Believe me when I say I am no expert, but my eye was expecting more color contrast between the KINGS....they look the same color and therefore for me loosing the dynamic of opposing forces, your placement; setup such interest.. WOW!!! Thanks for including the setup.

Yeah...even in color, it was kind of tough to tell the difference. I need to get some new pieces.

Like this a lot. Maybe try upping the local contrast and introducing a sepia tone?

Very cool composition, DOF, and scale as already mentioned. I will also admit that if the opposing king where more white, it would add TONS of drama to an already interesting photo.

Kudos on the setup too LOL! Joby GorillaPods rock!

Hm. I'll have to look for a different chess set with more traditional black/white pieces and reshoot.

Dang! I was hoping no one would notice!

Just out of curiosity, here's the color version. Which works better?
4839191097_60d3b5efce_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back