Cheers

Peanuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brittanyesther.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I am defintely starting to enjoy still life in the studio a bit more. These were taken on New Years Eve - allowing for me to be home precisely 45 seconds before midnight.

Anyways, my original idea of the shoot didn't go over very well. It was suppose to be more of a side backlit type thing, where the white wine would be see through (as seen here) and the red wine would 'show' through the green bottle (I was trying to 'recreate' an image I had seen) but unfortunately the green bottle was the largest pain in the rear and wouldn't allow any red to show through. It was probably that I wasn't patient enough with my light set up. So I reverted to putting the bottles on a reflector board either pointing directly towards the back background or right into the softbox. Relatively neat effect - but something I need to work on.

Any critique, ideas etc. would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year TPF :)

1. Here is what I was originally attempting gone wrong
_J8R3614flickr.jpg

2. Abstract or just plain boring?
_J8R3644flickr.jpg

3. Now, this one I don't know about. I am trying to determine if the 'suspended' upper portion of the bottle works.
342044863_c64202745b_o.jpg

_J8R3649flick.jpg

5. The simply 'classic' look.
341529146_1c7a4f151f_o.jpg

I haven't tried anything like this yet, but I'm sure it can be a nightmare.

#1...I don't care for the reflections in the bottles. Maybe put up a large black or white diffuser in the bg?

#2...It's still abstract, but I personally find it boring.

#3...I really like the concept here. If you could open up the shadows a tad more in the bottle, you'd have a strong shot.

#4...I like the strong silhouette. Don't care for the 'floating' affect.

#5...I'm far from a 'classic' or 'traditional' guy...but this is my fav of the series. For me, the composition is the first thing that stands out. The lighting, shadows and reflection make this a strong image.

I think you did good on all of them. I would be interested in seeing reshoots of #3 ;)

I think you could have shown the liquids on the first one had you backlit it a little bit.

The only problem I have with number two is that outside of this series, it would be completely unidentifiable, and thus its significance would be lost, however it does add a nice, abstract, touch to this series. I also like number 5 the most.

love the lighting in 3!

Woodsac: Thanks for taking the time to go through and critique each. Completely agree on the first - I wasn't goign to even post it but then I thought I would an example of the most successful of the failures ;). Second - good to know. Third - I actually did end up burning the middle section a bit to rid of all the shadows. I may dig that version back up, but unfortunately I must say that the bottle was rather dusty to say the least (horrible oversight of mine at the end of the shoot) and it looks.. blah. But I may get that one up as a comparison. What I think would look neat is to have highlights on both sides of the bottle to 'outline' the edge but the inner being the black. I could do that in photoshop, but I much prefer doing it with the lighting. nex time. Four - Also good to know. Five - Also my fave.

Sw1tchFX - I am certain with large amounts of patience it would have worked. The problem I was having is if I moved the softbox any more 'behind' the bottles, it was in the image or causing glare. I did have a reflector - but gave up on running ducking and holding a reflector on the ground at an angle ;) But yes, defintely something to work on.

jlbrew3: Thanks for commenting

Ab$olut: Thanks

Edit:

Okay, here is the shadows opened on #3
_J8R3666flickr.jpg

two further edits

Yes. I know it isn't straight. whoops.
_J8R3653copyflickr.jpg

_J8R3684flickr.jpg

I completely missed your update?

I really like the repost of #3. I still prefer the original #5, but I think it's because it's so clean and crisp with the black bg.

#2 of the new batch...I think you're onto something. If you could go in PS, straighten the bottle, but keep the corkscrew at an angle like that, and retain the comp...I think it would lood great!

I don't care for the very last one. The colored flare is neat, but the bright light is distracting from the bottle. I think it has potential as well :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back