Cherry Blossoms C&C please

that1guy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
still learning ...

would appreciate any comments, thoughts, and concerns thank you :)

okisakura.jpg

timmeetflower.jpg

Technically I suppose they are fine. It's clear you are processing them for a certain mood so the unusual warmth in #2 doesn't seem out of place.

I just can't really get into either of them, but it's difficult for me to explain why. I suppose the easiest way would be to say that I don't find them visually interesting or stimulating, nor do they form a strong emotion. There is some emotion, meaning, or purpose, but it is not strong for me.

I think that the cherry blossom in #1 doesn't occupy enough of the frame. A closer shot in #1 would be more interesting. Not completely zoomed in mind you, but just so that the blossom was a bit bigger. I agree with bazooka about the post, I kind of like the feel that you are going for. The second one is an interesting shot, but my attention is drawn to the shoe and the cherry blossom is an afterthought. Depends on what you were going for, but the shoe stands out a lot stronger than the cherry blossom.

I kind of like the first shot, but I feel it would have more impact if you cropped it down to the top of where the greenish line\area begins. In the second shot, my eye is drawn directly to the shoe and then the background - the cherry blossom is lost in this one.

The white balance is wrong in both of them, but more obvious in the second.

The frst has a great deal of space around the blossom that is adding nothing to the composition. A tighter crop would help but it also appears that the blossom is slightly out of focus, although it's hard to tell for sure, and cropping tighter would accentuate that.

The excessively bright top half of the second is what draws my eye, not the subject. Also, I'm not sure whether the subject is the blossom or the shoe. The blown-out ceiling really needs to go though.

Cherry blossoms can be a great subject but the shots need to accentuate their properties. The soft pink color and the delicacy of the blooms arethe most important in my opinion. Bring out those qualities that are important to your subject and let them stand on their own merits.

I am not sure that all Americans are aware of the how the Japanese view the Sakura, so there may be a lack of cultural context here. I like them.. and they do portray that "fleeting beauty" and the concept of mono no aware!

I am not sure that all Americans are aware of the how the Japanese view the Sakura, so there may be a lack of cultural context here. I like them.. and they do portray that "fleeting beauty" and the concept of mono no aware!
I agree. I like them. Even if they don't follow the narrow conventions of what supposedly make a good photograph.

I really like them. Beautiful job.

I'm sorry, but neither picture, especially the 1st one holds my interest. Picture 1 has just way too much empty space around the blossom that doesn't contribute anything to the subject, nor whatever the theme is.

Could also be a personal thing with me, as I had two, now one Japanese Crab Apple tree that have spectacular blooms, but create a mess that takes what seems like forever to clean up once the blooms start to fall off the tree.

Last edited:
I am not liking the background rock/object in image #1.

What was your reasoning for the composition in image #2 ?
I am not getting it.

A very fine story...but could have been better in narration.... i mean the over brightness kills the story a bit
In the first image the projection on the right side does not add anything to the story; in the second image, the hairy thing around the feet kills the quality; i think the the concept should be worked out once again, because you cannot afford to lose its charm

regards :D

Most reactions

Back