Chevrolet For 53

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So startlingly new!! So wonderfully different!! Or so went the ad for the 53's release. Shot a couple different ways, and processed a few ways, but I kept coming back to this as more reminiscent of the time. I have only the vaguest of memories from childhood of Dad's 53. C&C always welcome.

Chevy by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
I remember back in the mid-1970s when I was 12 or 13 years old, my grandfather bought a 1953 Buick in quite good condition, but it had a bad clutch. He paid $150 for it back in those days of $0.59 per gallon gas.

He ostensibly bought the car for us kids,my brother and I, but we never did drive it. Sometime in the early 1990s, my brother sold it. I spent a lot of time in that car and can still remember the smell of cloth upholstery... I now wish we had actually gotten that car running.

I want it

Despite having what some call the classic Hot Rod styling with bulging body panels, don't think they ever achieved the "highly" collectable status. You can find them restored from $20-40k.

Nice pic and car! I wanted to buy one in in great condition back in '76, the guy wanted $2 k at the time. It was primer brown and ready to paint with an excellent interior but unfortunately for me at the time my dad had to give the OK for any car purchases and he gave it a thumbs down. Said it was rather old and maybe too hard to get parts for, not a good daily driver. He may've been right. He also said no to a '70 Mach I that had a 427 Cobra in it also, said it was "too much car" for me and he was definitely right about that. (set up for drag with roll bars/10 sec 1/4 mile tickets) That engine shook everything within ten feet of it. I'd love to have either car now.

Beautiful !

Thanks guys!

Chevrolet for 53 what? 53 people? dollars??

Friend of mine had an old car from the '40s and the back seat was a mile away from the front seat! Could probably have had half the neighborhood pile in. So much fun to ride around in.

Beautiful subject and beautifully done. The only thing that bugs me is that bit of lean to the windows to the right; maybe a longer lens or tighter compostion could've worked.

Chevrolet for 53 what? 53 people? dollars??

Friend of mine had an old car from the '40s and the back seat was a mile away from the front seat! Could probably have had half the neighborhood pile in. So much fun to ride around in.

Beautiful subject and beautifully done. The only thing that bugs me is that bit of lean to the windows to the right; maybe a longer lens or tighter compostion could've worked.

That was the tag line from an ad announcing the release of the 1953 model. Yeah I still have a fondness for old cars, trucks, tractors, jeans, boots, country music.......LOL

I wish I had your eyesight, as until you mentioned it, I never noticed the lean. Thanks VS, now I can't "unsee" it. :ambivalence:

I think I know why it happened on just those windows. I was down low on my knees at an angle to the car, apparently the perspective seemed to affect those more then the others. Problem is can't reshoot, I'm not sure I can fix it without a lot of work in Ps, and I'm not that fond of it that I want to spend the excess time on it.

I can't help it, lol and I drive myself nuts with it in my photos! I learned to watch for posts and poles etc. shooting hockey, where with the curvature of the rink I had to learn to watch the sides of the frame to make sure I was framing straight. It's not that noticeable, you can tell it's the perspective. Occupational hazard of sorts of being a hockey fan & photographer.

@vintagesnaps it's said the subconscious mind picks up the incongruities that the conscious mind misses. Obviously my subconscious was on break. You seem to have an acute sense of color variation as well.

Most reactions

Back