Child on a swing Photo tips

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by BananaRepublic, Feb 19, 2018.

1. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My nephew will be taking he first trip to the swing when weather allows and was wondering if I could get some tips.

Best lens to use, I have a 24 70 and 70 200.
    Was looking perhaps to get a panning shot aswell as him just sitting in it.
    What shutter speed is ideal for this if someone knows off hand, he is only eight months so it just may not be possible.

2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I just used my kit zoom when photographing my kids on swings. wider lenses tend to look more dramatic but you need to counter that with keeping far enough away. You don't want your nephew kicking your camera!!!
    I'd expect the 24-70 to work nicely to cover all necessary distances.
    The shutter speed options available to you will depend on your skill at panning. Just bracket wildly to cover all the options. Even if your panning is perfect a rang of shutter speeds will probably be desirable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use a fairly fast shutter speed, and think about the timing. Watch him for a minute or so and notice the sequence of movement. Try to get him when the swing goes up and back and there's a momentary pause before it comes back down and forward. Try some when he swings forward too, same thing, when he comes upward and toward you when there's a pause before he swings back down and away.

You could probably practice with just the swing if someone can give it a push, maybe weight it down a little with something.

Since he's little he won't be going all that high or fast like an older kid would do (I've done sports where things are moving faster for example with older kids or adults than younger ones.) You might try 1/500, or if need be 1/1000 to start and see if that still gives you any blur; if not then 1/250 might be fast enough, depends on how high and fast he's going.

If you try panning, follow thru with your movement another second or so after you release the shutter. If you pan and release the shutter too abruptly you'll likely get blur.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ceemac

ceemac No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Set your camera for continuous focus and multiple shots. It's better to delete 30 or 40 shots than to miss the moment.

• Like Like x 1