Child Portait: 5 yr old

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few shots from a session I had over the weekend with a very active 5 yr old. She literally would stay still for a second and then bolt off running around through the tree farm. At least i was able to catch those awesome blue eyes :)

I'm still learning how to take portraits so C&C is very welcome

02420011.jpg

02420010.jpg

02420005.jpg

I was going to actually say that the dress is a big no no. It competes with the eye.

When I first looked at the image, my eye was drawn to the busy pattern and not to the child's face. In my information packed to clients I have a clothing form I send to them that says "no busy patterns" so be careful of that.

As for the actual pictures, I like them. I not too keen on her expression (I don't like sad or serious children) but that is just personal taste, nothing that you did wrong. You exposures are pretty good, the first two have a very slight blue cast to them, which is easily fixed in photoshop.

You eyes in these look fantastice though! You did a great job of capturing light in them! You also did a greeat job in finding a good open, shade area! she has no weird patches of sun! So go you!

Overall, I think you did a great job!

Here's an edit I did, removed the blue cast (which warmed her up a bit and did a slight color tweak)

02420011.jpg

I like the pictures, but I think maybe you could have captured some of the child like qualities within the images. For example, you said she wouldn't sit still and always running about, maybe you could have captured that and used it to your advantage. Then again maybe you did but didnt post them on here :)

Still really lovely though :)

I like the pictures, but I think maybe you could have captured some of the child like qualities within the images. For example, you said she wouldn't sit still and always running about, maybe you could have captured that and used it to your advantage. Then again maybe you did but didnt post them on here :)

Still really lovely though :)
I did sure try :) We were in a tree farm and this little was darting in and out of trees like crazy. I'm surprised not all the photos were blurry becuase she really was so fast. I didn't post those photos here though becuase they look more like snap shot.

You eyes in these look fantastice though! You did a great job of capturing light in them! You also did a greeat job in finding a good open, shade area! she has no weird patches of sun! So go you!

Overall, I think you did a great job!
thanks :) This was the first time I tried having a session in the evening and it worked out very well especially for this location.

I love the edit you made of the first photo I will go back and redo these again.

I never thought of having an info packet. What a brilliant idea. I would love to learn more about this so if you don't mind sharing (maybe via PM) I would love to learn more.

I thought the blue-cast was intentional, giving it a vintage look, together with the dress. And the background is complementing too, I don't want to say it's hippie-ish. It just got a vintage feel.

The third one is especially great, I agree the dress pattern is competing for attention, but not to a point that you can't focus on the eyes. And it would be boring if the only points of interest are the eyes.

i think the last one would make a great selective color edit

I thought the blue-cast was intentional, giving it a vintage look, together with the dress. And the background is complementing too, I don't want to say it's hippie-ish. It just got a vintage feel.

The third one is especially great, I agree the dress pattern is competing for attention, but not to a point that you can't focus on the eyes. And it would be boring if the only points of interest are the eyes.
Saying Hippie-ish actually isn't that far off considering where I live and the family ;) but i would prefer to say maybe more natural or organic :) I like how you think the blue cast has a more vintage feel. I think I will give the family two options so they can go with the style they like better.

Even though the last one does have a bit of a serious look I really do like that one. I kind of wish you could see the stump of a xmas tree she is actually sitting on.

I love everything about them. The blue cast works with these photos and ads a cold touch to this curious child. I love the change in expression and how its not the typical obnoxious smiling kid but this girl looks interesting and captures my attention. Nice job!

I love everything about them. The blue cast works with these photos and ads a cold touch to this curious child. I love the change in expression and how its not the typical obnoxious smiling kid but this girl looks interesting and captures my attention. Nice job!
thank you so much :D

Most reactions

Back