Children on the Beach. Looking for C&C

GreggS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blue-line-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most of the work I do is landscapes, scenery, still life, etc. I'm trying to break more into portrait work, so I'd appreciate any feedback. Below are a few shots I took last night of my girlfriend's family. Any CC is welcome, especially on composition, PP, and overall quality. Thanks.

1 $Brady 1 1000px.jpg

2$Brady and Nick 1 1000px.jpg

3$Brady and Nick 2 1000px.jpg

4$Emily 1000px.jpg

5$James 1000px.jpg

Hm. I'm not a portrait expert by any means, but these seem very nice to me. Nice emotion, nice processing. A couple look a little underexposed (first two), but still very nice.

Thanks for the suggestion. I bumped it up 0.2 stops to give these results....much better. Also, here's a few more from that evening if anyone cares to C&C.

1 (revised)
$Bradyn 1000px.JPG

2 (revised)
$Brady and Nick Laughing 1000px.jpg

$Nick 1000px.JPG

$Meg Taking Photo 1000px.jpg

You've got the faces with brilliant expressions which in my view is two thirds of the portrait battle.

#1. Watch your cropping/framing. You cut one arm off too close to the elbow and lost half his hand.

#2. Expression on their faces is great but both their eyes have wandered off - probably to mom who's most likely standing to the left of you. ;) My wife acts as my assistant and I constantly have to remind her not to distract my subjects. "Pay attention to the one eyed goddess or she will make you look ugly!"

#3. Is more candid so you can get away with the fact that the bigger lad is looking away. Love it!

#4, 5, 6, and 7. Really nice shots - even though she is holding a Canon in #7 ( ;) ) . They all are more than "somebody else's kids at the beach".

I'm not an expert on lighting, these look fine to me but someone else may have a more educated opinion.

The horizon in number 1 (revision) should either be cropped out, or leveled out, imo. They LOOK really good though, very clean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back