Child's Glamour Portrait

bowronfam3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was testing out some new lighting today, and thought this test shot actually came out pretty decent. I wanted to see what some other folks thought.

funglamourshot2fy6.jpg

I think his face is too bright. You can fix that in PS or any type of photo editing program.

or you can fix it where the problem lies, in the exposure. fix it in camera, don't salvage a mediocre photograph, get it right the first time.

for a young white kid, i would spot meter the skin at about +2/3 of a stop

too bad you mentioned it was a test. Why not pretend it was your intention to make it look this way? :D
'Cause I like it like this. The overexposure blows out some facial features, and then puts all the attention to the eyes, making them these big dark buttons that stare at you. :thumbup:

pascal

While I think you dealt well with the initial mistake (overexposure), that bar of light in his big eyes bothers me a bit. What is the new light you were testing? It is oblong and that shows right next to your boy's pupils and it is very different from all I have seen before ... and kind of distractive.

Thanks so much for all the comments everyone! As far as the overexposure that was done on purpose. I wanted a very overexposed almost high key look to it in the fact that it takes away a lot of facial features. The light I was testing...my God...this is sooo embarrassing...:blushing:...I was using the light bar from our fishtank! LOL! Ghetto...I know, but I was just experimenting. I don't own any photography lights, and really can't afford any right now. Thanks again for the comments, though guys!

the light looks pretty hard. if thats what you are going for its a good shot it reminds me a little of how in the old days they would use a hard, direct light to make a dramatic look for a hollywood movie star.

You should try using photoshop to make the shot look older 30's or 40's style however the perspective may make it a bit difficult.

Mike V

bowronfam3 said:
I was testing out some new lighting today, and thought this test shot actually came out pretty decent. I wanted to see what some other folks thought.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but, pray, what is 'glamour' about this photo?

oldnavy170 said:
I think his face is too bright. You can fix that in PS or any type of photo editing program.

I beg to differ. It is actually very difficult to fix blown out areas without turning them an un-natural gray.

I actually like this though. I've always had a thing for high key lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back