Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
128758483.jpg

Translation: Chile-House
Built in 1922-24, following the design of Fritz Höger, for the Hanseatic merchant Henry Barens Sloman, named after the country in which the builder had worked for three decades. Chile-House was the first office building in the redevelopment area south of Steinstrasse. It turned out to be its architect's major work and became one of the most important creations of architectural expressionism in Germany. Started right in the times of the great depression and inflation, it became a manifestation of the will of the Hamburg economy to proceed and become successful again after World War I.

128758482.jpg

- Leica -

128758477.jpg

- 350D -

128758472.jpg

- 350D -

128758474.jpg

- 350D -

128758436.jpg

- 350D -

128758479.jpg

- Leica -

128758441.jpg

- 350D -

128758439.jpg

- Leica -

128758469.jpg

- 350D -

Well, here there are no real "blocks" like you find them in American cities. The streets go round it and bend and form curves and whatnot. But if there WERE real blocks, this building would possibly form one block of its own. I'm glad I could finally explore it, but I think I'll return when the weather is nicer. Will make the bricks show even better, I think.

that is a grand building, really like 4&7. nice series :thumbup:

Number Four is my fav. Nice series.

Nice series - #4 looks cool - captured the architecture.

Jake, on the website on Chile-House (www.chilehouse-hamburg.de)* I found a map for you which nicely depicts how the building is embedded into the web of streets in that area of the city:

chile_lage.gif

You see the building marked in red just above Ost-West-Strasse.
This map also shows nicely where I spent large part of my photographic excursion into Hamburg last Friday: I also photographed the water (blue ribbon below "Dowenfleet", the area around "Markthalle" and "Deichtorhallen" and the Main Railway Station (look for the "U" and the "S" and the "DB" signs around a building called "Hbf.-Nord"). I'll soon show you some more piccies, ok.

*This site also shows you some (unfortunately better than mine) additional photos of Chile-House, including some of the interior, if you click your way there, searching for words such as either "Fotos" or "Foto-Galerie" (don't remember which). Happy browsing.

Actually, upon doing a Google search on "Photographers in Hamburg" I came across a good (very!) many sites of brilliant photographers who have covered every nook and cranny of that wonderful city ... my amateur attempts all pale against their brilliant photography :oops:

Awesome series again Corinna. What an amazing building, and you captured it well.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back