China town portraits

colinL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went to China Town today and took some portraits. The last one is of some flowers at the cultural center. I would like some critique on these, seeing as I dont get to shoot many portraits. Thanks

LadyintheMarket.jpg

ManandhisMusic.jpg

flowersinthesquare.jpg

I do believe they are all nice photos. The 2nd one being my favourite. The first one though, as soon as I looked at it, I didnt even see the woman on the right, I was automatically drawn towards the sign in the middle. The 3rd one is nice, beautiful tree!

Terri

I like the 3rd one the best, then the second and then the first. They are all very nice pictures!!!!

Haha thanks guys. Anything specifically to work on?

no, i dont think you need to work on anything in particular eccept tor in the second one the graffiti on the top is kinda bugging me. but other than that great shots, id have so say 3 then 2 then 1 for favorites. i really like the girl in 3 looking off to the left, really gives the photo feeling

everyone is going for the second and third but i think the first is amazing! really grabbed my attention.

1st pic is my favourite - the backgrounds on the other two distract from the subject matter to much. On the first though, if you crop left of the Golden King sign, I think it make the image stronger.

>;o))

I really like #1 and #2. great catch.

PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWS - stop reading here if you like

OTOH, IMO you haven't gotten the most out of these pictures.

The picture of the man playing the instrument needs some cropping to focus on him and take out stuff that doesn't contribute. Selective defocussing of background wouldn't hurt a bit.

Also, this one looks like it is oversharpened. Look at the halos on his fingers and other edges. These are artifacts from sharpening.

manandhismusicbrx4.jpg

The original in this is too dull so I would lighten it up some (the shade on Stockton St is pretty dark) and I would crop from the left to give her more prominence in the picture. Maybe even do some selctive deshapening and darkening (particularly oranges) on the background.

ladyinthemarketbzv4.jpg

awesome pics dude, 2nd is my fav, whats the instrument hes playing?

The Traveler... I love your opinions. Not just here, just in general on this board!

Haha thanks for the critique and for the edits traveler, I appreciate the help.

I just cropped #1 to the left of the sign and it looked great, and then I saw I wasn't the only one with that idea. #1 is definitely the best. Would have liked to see the musical instrument (erhu?) more prominently in #2. Not a fan of purty flahrs myself, but others do seem to like #3 very much, so what do I know?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back