Chinese New Year 2009 Celebration at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

mylo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today is Chinese New Year eve. Most Chinese families are going to 'welcome' God of Prosperity by 12 midnight. Gosh...this year Chinese New Year celebration look mundane to me. My city hall is not hanging "tang longs" or red lanterns at residential areas to mark the celebration - I guess they are cutting down the cost. My former Prime Minister even banned the burning of fireworks for all festive events. I really miss those light and sound burst.

I was searching high and low trying hard to find the real festivity around my area. So these are the pictures I captured. I went to Chinatown and also Thean Hou temple.

Picture 1 - Thean Hou temple (external structure)

THEANHOU5_0071.jpg

Picture 2 - Red Lanterns

THEANHOU7_0107.jpg

Picture 3 - Dragon's Wave (close-up shot of a porcelain scultured figurine)

DRAGON2_0025.jpg

Picture 4 - The Dragon's Beard

DRAGON4_0028.jpg

Picture 5 - Waxed Duck

LAPNGAPPEI2_0139.jpg

Feel free to check out my photo blog and travelogue for a full version:
A Malaysian Photo Blog & Travelogue by myloismylife

Cheers!
mylo

Whoa, that second photo is impressive! So many red lanterns.
And you mean to say that if the town weren't saving on costs, these red lanterns would be EVERYWHERE to mark the New Year? But now they are "only" around Thean Hou Temple?

I also like the photo of the Dragon's Beard :D. Would be nice to also see the WHOLE statue for a change. Though it is a nice object for abstract photography, as I can tell from your third photo here :D .

Whoa, that second photo is impressive! So many red lanterns.
And you mean to say that if the town weren't saving on costs, these red lanterns would be EVERYWHERE to mark the New Year? But now they are "only" around Thean Hou Temple?

I also like the photo of the Dragon's Beard :D. Would be nice to also see the WHOLE statue for a change. Though it is a nice object for abstract photography, as I can tell from your third photo here :D .

Hi LaFoto! Those red lanterns in the temple were purchased and funded by the temple committee. City Hall and National Power Supply have been decorating the streets of Kuala Lumpur for the last 10 years to mark Chinese New Year - not this year. :(

I guess the Chinese celebration is too close to the Federal Territory Day (1st February 2009) - maybe more allocation is needed to celebrate the state event.

I do not really have any picture showing the entire 'dragon' - too engross with close-up shots. :blushing:

@xtort,

Thank you so much to you and LaFoto for your kind comments!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back