Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
_MG_3378.jpg

Gulls gathering waiting for their morning feast

_MG_3367.jpg

Circling to the South towards Ely Cathedral

_MG_3401.jpg

Grub's up! Amid the clutter belonging to every farm hidden from view fortunately behind our garden fence!

_MG_3357.jpg

Well fed and making its getaway.

The farmer's wife uses the potatoes that are unfit for sale and a deep fat fryer in her garage to prepare this feast every morning so we are treated to a cloud of wheeling gulls over our back fence. I wandered down this morning shortly after 7am to record it for her. A good trade as it is a few prints for a bag of wheat to continue my bribery around the feeders in my garden!
_MG_3439.jpg

This was the view from my garden on return.

Wow--what a nice, and dedicated woman who makes fresh (albeit with somewhat dodgy potatos!) chips or French fried every morning for the sea gulls...but of course, every country has its seagull feeders, its pigeon feeders, its tame park duck feeders, etc. I especially liked the first photo, the gulls wheeling around that cool-looking tree, silhouetted against the early morning sky-lovely scene!

Now, I know in the UK chips are what we Yanks call Frecnh fried potatos, or just French fries, or even just "fries". I wonder though, what are nice thick, wedge cut potato sections dipped in seasoned egg,spiced,and flour batter and deep fat fried called? Here they are called jo-jos, and are often sold at roadside grocery stores that have a hot deli case, usually about one medium potato's worth making about seven big, thick, battered Jo-Jo potatos, and sold for $1.50 or so.

Do they have jo-jo's in the UK? And if so, what are they called? Seagulls by the way, LOVE jo-jos. I used to stop by a riverside market that had a small,almost park-like eating area, and the gulls would "que up" whenever a diner appeared that he might be heading into the store for a soda pop refill, whereupon one or two would immediately fly over and snare an unattended jo-jo from the unsuspecting (rookie) diner's paper basket, and make a getaway.

Wow Derrel! Are you getting into I'm an ass mode again? Take a deep breath, and another one, and chill out.

Sorry OP, your photos are not bad but Derrel just killed the wish to help you with a decent C&C.

Wow Derrel! Are you getting into I'm an ass mode again? Take a deep breath, and another one, and chill out.

Sorry OP, your photos are not bad but Derrel just killed the wish to help you with a decent C&C.

Leave him alone - all us oldies can think of is food!

This is a fun series - not images for competition

Leave him alone - all us oldies can think of is food!

This is a fun series - not images for competition

I'm young and all I can think of is food.

What,exactly, is your problem c.clownw**er?

Grow up. You're going to blame "me" for your inability to perform? yuk,yuk,yuk.

Lots of noise, and motion blur.

As you can see from the first - it was just as the sun was rising behind clouds and I just grabbed the camera with the 70-200 on. Even at iso 500 it was screaming at me not to hand hold . . . but these are fun shots not for tripod lugging before breakfast and below zero! The first printed OK at 11x8in - but I wouldn't bother with any other.

Grow up. You're going to blame "me" for your inability to perform? yuk,yuk,yuk.

Why not? If you came into my mind at that time, I do not think I would perform :grumpy:

And I seriously think I'm not the only one here. Should we take a poll?

Derrel - In New Zealand we call 'jo-jos' (never heard that term before) wedges. I assume in the UK its the same, as we share many mannerisms with our ancestors over there.

Most reactions

Back