Choice of 3 film cameras. Which one?

I see three MR-9 adapters on eBay USA right now ranging in price from $9-$14 shipped. Since you only have to buy it once and can use it on any number of cameras, it seems like a pretty reasonably priced solution to me and does not require any of the above tinkering.

I'm thinking there's a bit of chance that the HK knock-offs don't really deliver.

I have several that I've used for years and they've worked fine. The MR-9 is simply a metal case with a diode in it. The diode in the originals probably comes from the same place as those made in HK.

Battery woes aside, 60s-70s SLRs aren't exactly free of age-related issues. With camera repair usually exceeding their cost(assuming you can find it), old manual bodies can be a crap shoot now. Not sure anyone just starting film photography wants the headaches.

Yes, it's terribly adventurous and should never be attempted by wimps, whiners or weenies. :lol:

I see three MR-9 adapters on eBay USA right now ranging in price from $9-$14 shipped. Since you only have to buy it once and can use it on any number of cameras, it seems like a pretty reasonably priced solution to me and does not require any of the above tinkering.

I'm thinking there's a bit of chance that the HK knock-offs don't really deliver. If you want the CRIS originals that work--I have a couple and they do--you're not going to get 'em at those prices. Most simply allow a smaller zinc-air hearing aid battery(notice the holes in the cheapo adapter?) to fit in a PX625 battery chamber. For 6 bucks, those are probably worth it. The others? Caveat emptor.

Battery woes aside, 60s-70s SLRs aren't exactly free of age-related issues. With camera repair usually exceeding their cost(assuming you can find it), old manual bodies can be a crap shoot now. Not sure anyone just starting film photography wants the headaches.

Not so much when you buy Leica mine have be trouble free both from 1983

"Yes, it's terribly adventurous and should never be attempted by wimps, whiners or weenies."

Just not willing to let nostalgia and semi-functional relics get between me and a shot, especially when better is available for the same or less.

Guess that sort of endlessly repeated dogma and blind acceptance works on APUG. Not for me, bro.

Well, there's your problem - you only have semi-functional relics! Try fully functional ones. It makes a difference. :mrgreen:

We get it. You like newer models. Can we move on now?

Haven't really been following the discussion on this thread too closely, as half the stuff being debated was over my head.

But anywhoooo, here's an update.

Got myself a working K1000 on EBay. Should be working, anyways. Seller said that the battery was good, and it comes with a wwrist strap and 50mm lens. I'm excited. I paid a little more in shipping than I'd like, but oh well. It's mine. :3

If you got a crush, don't be an octopus

^ Good. Let us know how it goes.

Will do! I can't wait to try it out. :)

Haven't really been following the discussion on this thread too closely, as half the stuff being debated was over my head.

But anywhoooo, here's an update.

Got myself a working K1000 on EBay. Should be working, anyways. Seller said that the battery was good, and it comes with a wwrist strap and 50mm lens. I'm excited. I paid a little more in shipping than I'd like, but oh well. It's mine. :3

:headbang: Show us pictures when you have 'em! (and remember to get a lens cap to keep that battery from draining too fast.)

Lens cap will be the first thing I make sure it has. XD

And yes. Pics will be posted. :3 I'm so excited for it to get here.

Maybe in 1976 mercury batteries were already phased out?
The Olympus OM-1N always used Mercury batteries & that continued until 1987.
You can get modern equivalents with the same voltage or a conversion done on the camera to take a more common type of modern battery.
Either way, you don't need a battery for the K1000. Using a separate meter is good fun.

Most reactions

Back