Choice of camera: beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by magnushasto, Feb 8, 2018.

1. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can get a camera with a moderately wide lens for under you budget.

But you are going to have trouble doing that with a tele zoom. You have to go used.
    Your problem is, the longer the lens the more expensive $$$$ it will get.
    And beyond a certain point, you will NEED a GOOD STURDY tripod. And these are NOT cheap.

2. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You can also go with a used Olympus EM5mkii, great for hiking around and one of the best weather sealed cameras. And get the 14-150mm (28-300mm eq, also weather sealed) and 75-300mm (150-600mm eq) lenses. These are two good quality lenses that are not too expensive but will cover a huge range.

3. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Good luck on your efforts. I'd say definitely bny used. I have Nikons but I believe Canon is equally good. Don't forget to budget for some ancillary items like tripod, bag (think backpack?), Rain Shield, extra battery(s)! and notebooks. Nothing is more frustrating that capturing a wonderful image but you can't remember how you did it! (aperture, ISO, Shutter speed). Get in the habit of writing everything down when you are photographing. That way, you can better understand your successes and failures.

Like most of us, if you keep up with photography, you will upgrade your equipment. By sticking with reliable name brands, you can resell your equipment to help fund new stuff. It's a never ending slope.

4. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

If it were me, I would go to B & H and search for "refurbished D5300". It will bring up two choices 1. D5300 with AF-S 18-55 VR lens for $499, and 2. D5300 with AF-P 18-55 VR and AF-P 70-300 for $649. I would go for choice 1. because the AF-P 70-300 that is included in 2. does not have vibration reduction, which makes no sense to me. I would then search "refurbished AF-S 55-300". This should bring up refurbished lens at about $200. This is an older kit lens but it is adequate and has vibration reduction. This would leave you about $50 for an SD card and spare battery. You might also search "refurbished AF-P DX 70-300" to see if they have a refurbished AF-P 70-300 with VR. If so make sure it is a VR lens. If so and the price is right, it may be a better choice than the 55-300.

The D5300 has one of the best crop sensors ever made and has enough features to keep you busy learning for some time. I have never had any problem with factory refurbished Nikon equipment and B&H is great about correcting problems.

Keep in mind that refurbished stuff may not stay in stock long, so they may be gone by time you start looking. Just my $.02.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018