Choosing a Digital or Film SLR Camera

It has been a nice day off for me. I have been looking at various darkroom equipment. Not really sure where to begin. I think the enlarger might be a good first buy. Which black and white enlarger kit would you recommend? I would like to have the option of putting a Dichroic head on it later. Maybe I could develop other people's film once I get good at it. 'shrug'

People are dumping Darkroom equipment- look to see if there is a photography show in your area. One in Northern Virginia on the 16th.

Start with something simple for black and white. Keep it simple, "focus".

People are dumping Darkroom equipment- look to see if there is a photography show in your area. One in Northern Virginia on the 16th.

Start with something simple for black and white. Keep it simple, "focus".

What is the name of the show? Do you know exactly where it will be located?

Film vs digital is an apples and oranges comparison. I wouldn't go back to film if you paid me.

Not sure if this suggestion will put you back a year or two in your thought process, but why not just have multiple cameras?

I shoot every format you've mentioned right now with the exception of large format. Here's my short camera list:

Minolta X-700 film SLR - cost about $220 CDN used, including a few lenses, a camera bag, etc.
Sony A55 DSLR, bought new for about $700. Uses the same lenses as my Minolta film camera
For medium format (film not digital), I have a used Minolta Autocord, it cost about $170

Total cost for the cameras = less than your budget of $1500. And you get to shoot 35mm film, DSLR, and medium format film. You don''t have to buy Minolta/Sony, by the way, I'm just using my stuff as an example. But for the price, it's a win all around, no?

PS maybe wait to buy that darkroom stuff until you are sure that you will use it. Who knows, you might not like film once you've tried it.

Most reactions

Back