Choosing a style of photography to focus on

JackandSally

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this, I believe it is.

I've been trying to figure out what type of photography I should consider as "my style".

Here's what I know about what I like in my photos:

- When I take shots of people, I prefer the more candid, not so posed looks.
- I seem to be gravitated to "street photography"
- Macro, is not my thing
- I really like black and whites and simple photos
- No matter what the photo is of, it has to evoke some sort of feeling in me in order for me to like it
- I hate editing, and have put it on the back burner until I am able to fully put what I have learned about exposure into practice (like when it starts to become second nature rather than forcing it)

So, I ask. How do I figure out my style?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question. TYIA

Is it necessary to maintain a 'style' at your point? Are you taking on clients that are looking for a particular aesthetic vibe? Or are you trying to figure out what your niche for photography is?

If you haven't found what you truly enjoy, just keep shooting what you want to shoot until it clicks.

Typically, your "style" will be whatever you enjoy shooting. You dont have to pin yourself down to just one style. Many photographers here are able to shoot in different ways depending on their vision of the end product, or what their clients want.

I would say at this point to keep doing what you are doing, and keep shooting. How long have you been shooting? You will eventually get to a point that everything will just fall into place and your style will just develop with experience. At least that is what I found to be true.

Is it necessary to maintain a 'style' at your point? Are you taking on clients that are looking for a particular aesthetic vibe? Or are you trying to figure out what your niche for photography is?

If you haven't found what you truly enjoy, just keep shooting what you want to shoot until it clicks.

At this point, I'm not taking clients. I don't think I am anywhere near that point. In fact, I don't even know if I ever will be. But, yes, I am trying to figure out what niche is - though, I do want a solid background to go off of.

I would say at this point to keep doing what you are doing, and keep shooting. How long have you been shooting? You will eventually get to a point that everything will just fall into place and your style will just develop with experience. At least that is what I found to be true.

I started shooting with a Nikon 35mm in high school, 13 years ago but being a teenager, other things go in the way. I started playing with my P&S about six years ago and bought my first DSLR 2 years ago. That's when I started to really get back into it. However, it has only been recently that I have been doing forums, reading tutorials, watching videos, and the like.

And I'm really hoping that it all kind of falls into place. It'll make this learning process worth it.

Style and type of photography are two different things.

Okay, can you explain the difference. Just so that I have a clearer picture in my head as to what it is I'm trying to find. Thank you.

Okay, can you explain the difference. Just so that I have a clearer picture in my head as to what it is I'm trying to find. Thank you.

Style is more difficult to define. It could be considered "the look" of a photo, or it could be how you shoot something. Like, wedding photography is a type of photography - not a style. But then there's the whole posed vs. photojournalist question. You can shoot a wedding in a photojournalistic style.

But weddings are not a style in its own right.

Style is the thing that makes you say "Oh, that's a photo by such-and-such." Take Dave Hill for example: Dave Hill Photography

He's not the only one shooting high-end commercial photography, but he's got his own unique "look" to his photos.

Type: The nature of the subject, whether senior, family or children's portraits, materinity, wedding, etc.

Style: What (usually difficult to quantify) element(s) about that image tell us that it is your work.

OKAY! Thank you for the clarification. It is very much appreciated!

Don't worry about your style. Your style is what happens when you're shooting what you love, and really striving to make photos you're really happy with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back