Choosing the right ND filter for landscape photography

Ihatemymoney

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning on buying a ND filter .
I have no idea what shade of filter I want, but I own a # 2 nd filter and figure it is a waste of money
I was thinking of getting # 10 ND filter for my TSE 17mm runs about 220.00

I guess the right words would be, please (educate me ) on using ND filters for photography..

It's all about the light. You need the proper in the proper neutral density filter for the light you're in at any given time. That's why most people will either buy a variable neutral density filter or as in my situation a set of ND filters. I prefer the rectangular / square style over the screw in variable type.
How and when to use ND filters (and what the numbers mean) | Digital Camera World
I happen to like Lee filters so this might be helpful. Neutral Density Graduated Filters (ND Grads), and ND Standards in Resin and ProGlass from LEE Filters
If you can only get one I would go for a #6.

+1 for Lee filters and having a set of ND filters that can be stacked to make several values of ND.

+1 for Lee filters and having a set of ND filters that can be stacked to make several values of ND.

When I went to buy my adaptor for my TSE 17mm the only 2 companies that carries them.

FotoDiox and Lee
I called lee first.
The guy I talked to was in LA He really wasn't up on the new adaptor and said he would call me back.
Week later I called him back, and he had never looked up my info for my TSE17mm
Then I gave him his part number to lee's adaptor and he said he would see.
two weeks later I called a gain and the salesman in charged dropped the order again.

So I bought Fotodiox adaptor. and fotodiox sales the same looking square nd filter set as Lee does and I don't have deal with someone who has better things to do then take care of there customer.

In short Lee ND filters was totally worthless when I called them.
And I will not be calling them again .........

An ND filter shouldn't be necessary for landscapes. Their purpose is normally to reduce light so that you can expose with a slower shutter speed or a larger f stop under bright light conditions. An example would be photographing a waterfall with a slow shutter speed to provide a moving water effect in the photograph. A 2 second exposure might overexpose the image at the smallest aperture so the ND filter can bring that potential overexposure under control. I'm not sure you understand why you need it. Also I've never heard of a $220 filter.

An ND filter shouldn't be necessary for landscapes. Their purpose is normally to reduce light so that you can expose with a slower shutter speed or a larger f stop under bright light conditions. An example would be photographing a waterfall with a slow shutter speed to provide a moving water effect in the photograph. A 2 second exposure might overexpose the image at the smallest aperture so the ND filter can bring that potential overexposure under control. I'm not sure you understand why you need it. Also I've never heard of a $220 filter.

Fred The TSE 17mm lens is extremely wide angle.
Hard to get filter adaptors for because of its record breaking field of view .
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens Review
Nd filter
FotodioX 145mm Pro Ultra Slim Neutral Density WNDPN145-ND1000

Fred The TSE 17mm lens is extremely wide angle.
Hard to get filter adaptors for because of its record breaking field of view .
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens Review
Nd filter
FotodioX 145mm Pro Ultra Slim Neutral Density WNDPN145-ND1000

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Canon lenses but this one looks like it would be very useful for architectural photography.

Now I've seen a $250 filter. I'm amazed. Nikon usually provides for rear mounted filters on very wide lenses. I have a 14mm Nikkor that looks something like that Canon lens that works that way. But it isn't a shift lens.

So I bought Fotodiox adaptor. and fotodiox sales the same looking square nd filter set as Lee does and I don't have deal with someone who has better things to do then take care of there customer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back