Chosing lighting equipment, am I making good choices?

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My birthday is coming up and I was planning on getting some lighting, but today, I had to use part of my b-day present to buy a new phone and car radio so I have a slightly tight budget to work with. I have a sb600 and want to get:

a vivitar 285v or a yongnuo flash

Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

and something cheapish like the cactus triggers

i kinda have to go the cheaper route now, kinda stinks.

or i was thinking just trigger, umbrella and stand, and a reflector or 2 like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501357-REG/Westcott_301_5_in_1_Reflector_Disc_.html

any input?

Last edited:
Those triggers wont directly fit your flash.

How old are you?

correct me if im wrong, i dont think those transmitters will work with a sb600, i was doing some reading and could have swore they dont have a plug like that, ill see if i can find that page...

haha whoops, totally pasted the wrong link, i couldnt find the cactus triggers for some reason. I'm going to be 20 btw

what? I have a d40 which doesnt trigger wireless :( lol

again i might be wrong, but you can still trigger it with the built in flash, however you will have to set all the flash setting by hand, and you will have a full power flash coming from the camera, i know the d90 can trigger it without having the on camera flash effect the shot

if you can find some information on how to do that, that would be awesome, but I haven't found any way to do it

Google i do remember reading you can trigger it using any sort of flash, however you will have to set all of your setting on your flash by hand depending on the conditions, look in your flash manual to see how to set it all up, there is also a video on youtube by dom bower where he triggers one with a p&s camera

Last edited:
From what I have read and tried, I can't do it. and if I can, it's not as easy as I would like it to be lol. So here's what I think I am going to get. let me know if it should suffice for basic outdoor portraits and maybe some indoor stuff.

Westcott | 5-in-1 Reflector Disc - 40.5" (1 m) | 301 | B&H

General Brand | 10' AC Light Stand, Black | LS-10AB | B&H Photo

Impact | UMBRELLA SHOE MOUNT MULTI CLAMP | 3117 | B&H Photo Video

Photogenic | Umbrella, White, Soft Silver - 45" | 922425

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

i personaly dont use flash often, but i do remember it being done in that video, cant find it though, prolly should get someone elses opinion on those products

what video? lol

I looked into constant light but to get the power i would need for outdoor shots, i would be spending a lot. then i would need a power supply and more lugging stuff around haha

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hey, if you want to shoot studio lighting see my website...we do it the most inexpensive way there is!!!

Most reactions

Back