Chossing a wide angle lense :)

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A wide angle for $120!?

I like to know too. (I think) a good wide angle will cost you a bit more . ?

This Tokina 11-16 is a great lens if you can afford it. I've read that the Tokina 12-24 is rated well too.

Good Luck with your search.

Dan

Well i dont have that much money to spend right now, but what about the nikon?? :) is it better?? hhehe

thanks for the help.

The Sigma 18-50mm offers nothing over the 18-55 Nikkor lens...it would be a duplication. The 35mm 1.8 DX Nikkor is not a wide-angle lens on DX--it will produce a "normal" or "standard" angle of view on your D60.

There is absolutely nothing around the $120 price that will give you a decent wide-angle view on a D60. I think your best bet would be to get the D60 and the 18-55 kit and see what you think of it, and then research lenses in the 12-24 or 11-16 range or thereabouts. Be prepared to spend closer to $350-$400 for something that will actually produce a wide angle of view on a D60.

Oh i have an other question, i saw that with my D60 it wont autofocus, will it be difficult to use for a beginner like me?

yeah, but im not goint to found a wide angle lenses with autofocus for 400 dlls hehehe. thats why i was asking if it will be too difficult for a beginner to use the manual focus, i have never used a dsrl camera.

Oh i have an other question, i saw that with my D60 it wont autofocus, will it be difficult to use for a beginner like me?

I personally just picked up a few Lenes that are fully manual for my D60. I found it just took trial and error till you figure it out. I did a lot of research and watched a LOT of videos on Youtube to get the general gist of things. I would recomend grabing your camera, learn a lot from the manual and what u read and see online. And if you still really want a wide angle lens, find a store that will let you rent one and give it a try. That way you dont buy something you dont like!

Plus, a manual Lens will force ya to learn your camera! :lol:

I personally just picked up a few Lenes that are fully manual for my D60. I found it just took trial and error till you figure it out. I did a lot of research and watched a LOT of videos on Youtube to get the general gist of things. I would recomend grabing your camera, learn a lot from the manual and what u read and see online. And if you still really want a wide angle lens, find a store that will let you rent one and give it a try. That way you dont buy something you dont like!

True, but not having AF will definitely affect many types of shots. You can't do moving objects very easily for example.

True, but not having AF will definitely affect many types of shots. You can't do moving objects very easily for example.

I absolutly agree! Not having AF does limit what you can shot. But it does seem like avilamillar might be on a tight budget with looking at $120 Wideangle Lens. I was just giving assurance that a manual lens isnt completely horrible!

Thank you very much for your help, i really appreciated :)

Kerplunq: very good idea to rent a lense, now im on a camp in Rhode Island, and in a week im going to spend a year in Cambridge, MN.(im a exchange student) and im going to look if there is a store that can rent me one because lensrentals.com rent it for 50 dlls but in a little expensive :S

DScience: yeah, but i dont think ill take too much pictures with moving objects, i want it for landscapes and for example yesterday i was in boston and i couldnt put a hole building in the photo because i didnt have a wide angle lens.

now im not sure what to get first, macro lense or wide angle lense, hahaha. well first i need to buy the camera :p i have like 750 dlls, ill get the camera with cameta camera with some extras for 500, shipping included.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back