Christian / Senior Ports

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Long time no post! Senior portraits have been keeping me pretty busy lately. That's a good thing :D

Older session from a couple months ago. The guys are WAY harder to do than the girls! Or at least they are for me. All my senior sessions are shot with a Canon 30D and lit with Nikon SB-28's. 1 to 4 lights. Some with grids and umbrellas...some without :p

275157545_jVJzQ-XL.jpg

275157564_4BByH-X2.jpg

275157590_YBXn5-XL.jpg

275157633_HLYpt-XL-1.jpg

275347280_WMJbz-XL.jpg

I like 2 and 3 the best.. the others seem a bit TOO overprocessed? Maybe less might be more in your case becasue they seem like well lit, well composed pics.

Yay! You're back. I knew I was missing inspiration from somewhere. lol. Yes! Guys are WAY harder than girls for portraits, so many more poses and things for girls. These are very cool. Not that you need my CC on this but I think the only thing off is the flowered couch in the outdoor one there. Seems funny to me but probably no one else would even notice, I'm weird.

Well, where in the H have you been?? haha, jk. ;)

Nice series, very creative! I like #2 and #3 the best. A little more separation from the background in #2 would be nice, but still a great effect as is.

Thanks for posting again finally. :)

NJ

hehe been a while buddy, good to see you posting!

I agree with NJ you certainly have creativity on your side, which says alot for Senior ports these days imo. You got the first one in the bag, the others are more creative, some will mention the lighting on the face like in #4, but i think as a series its good to see some variety :thumbup:

Woodsac!!

What I love about your photos is you can just glance at them and you know who took them. Wonderful work!

Hello again everyone :D

Thanks for all the comments and especially the feedback. I realize that not everyone is going to like the post work or the harsh lighting. I can live with that ;)

I'm not so much of a technical guy. But I'm pretty sure that some of these are like 4 or 5 to 1 ratios...wich lots of people won't like. I just try to give them something different. The kids that come to me are the ones that want different, not studio. Of course, they always get at least one or two traditional shots for Mom too :heart:

As far as post work, there really isn't much going on. Except #4 & #5. Those both have texture overlays. The others just have basic editing. I rely on the lights to shape them.

Hey NJMAN. I wish I would have had more separation!!! I totally underexposed that shot. My back light with snoot was set at 1:64 and should have been set at about 1:8 :confused:

Hey NJMAN. I wish I would have had more separation!!! I totally underexposed that shot. My back light with snoot was set at 1:64 and should have been set at about 1:8 :confused:

That happens to me all the time. ;) I just try to learn from it. But I'm not that much of technical guy either.

Your back light was a Nikon SB-28? Interesting that you are using a Nikon speedlite with a Canon DSLR. Does it work well? I use a 430EX and make a snoot with a white foam sheet wrapped around the outside. The snoot extends about 10-12 inches.

Your back light was a Nikon SB-28? Interesting that you are using a Nikon speedlite with a Canon DSLR. Does it work well? I use a 430EX and make a snoot with a white foam sheet wrapped around the outside. The snoot extends about 10-12 inches.
I have 2 430EX's that I use on camera for weddings and events. But off camera, I have 4 SB-28's. They work great! The only thing is that they have to be fired in Manual mode. No ETTL. The good thing is that you can pick them up used in great shape for about $100 each :thumbup:

I'm using el-cheapo Cactus remote / triggers right now with the Nikon's. They aren't super reliable, but they work for now. I've been wanting to upgrade to Pocket Wizards' but I'm also looking at the new Radio Popper's. And of course there's the Skyport too. Too many decisions :confused: Oh, and for snoots (and gobo's and grids) I'm using stuff from David Honl. He makes some great products! I love the new Speed Grids! The 1/4" is great for outdoor, environmental portraits. And the 1/8" is great for a kicker light. http://www.honlphoto.com/servlet/StoreFront Again, they may not be for everyone. But I like to shoot pretty much all specular. Sometimes I diffuse with a 43" umbrella. And yesterday I just got an XS Photoflex Lightdome. I think I'm going to like it.

WOWOWOW

These are awesome!

3rd is fave!

what I love about these is they are edgy and I'm sure the guy loves them...I can imaging him saying 'oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about'. This for me overules the technical perfection so often sought....not that tech should be ignored :D.

no time to comment this very second.

but welcome back :D

Really impressive shots. I like all of them, but your subject seems to just leap out of three and four, at least for me. Excellent work all around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back