Christmas Present

A.lyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My mom is going to buy me a Nikon D60 with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens for Christmas. I don't think I'm going to break out the 55-200mm until I'm completely comfortable with the standard lens on the camera. I guess what I'm getting to is, what would be some good things to shoot when your getting a feel for the lens and camera and testing the full range of the lens? like people? buildings? flowers? Scenery? not completely sure...and also, the aperture for the 18-55mm lens is f/3.5-5.6. are these the min and max apertures that the lens can be opened up to? I'm kinda new to all this, and i just wanna be sure! I've been reading the joy of photography, and I've also purchased understanding exposure.

EVERYTHING!

Get out there and start shooting so that you can understand your camera/lenses weaknesses and limitations. Only when you understand what you cant effectively "shoot"/"capture" will you be able to understand what you "need" to fill in the gaps.

My mom is going to buy me a Nikon D60 with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens for Christmas. I don't think I'm going to break out the 55-200mm until I'm completely comfortable with the standard lens on the camera. I guess what I'm getting to is, what would be some good things to shoot when your getting a feel for the lens and camera and testing the full range of the lens? like people? buildings? flowers? Scenery? not completely sure...and also, the aperture for the 18-55mm lens is f/3.5-5.6. are these the min and max apertures that the lens can be opened up to? I'm kinda new to all this, and i just wanna be sure! I've been reading the joy of photography, and I've also purchased understanding exposure.

just go for a walk take the camera and shoot. its digital, so go nuts.
i shot over 500 pics a day when i got my first dslr for the first week or so.
try both lenses out, dont wait to put the telephoto on

those are both the max aperatures.
f3.5 when at 18mm f5.6 when at 55mm. the min should be f 22 and f32 off the top of my head thinking of my 18-55.

those are both the max aperatures.
f3.5 when at 18mm f5.6 when at 55mm. the min should be f 22 and f32 off the top of my head thinking of my 18-55.

That makes a lot more sense. I'm still kinda confused about the aperture thing. got the logistics, i just think i need to put it in everyday life! thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back