Christmas Shots- takes one & two.

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I wasn't happy with the shots I got when my nephew was here. I thought my reflector would be fill light, but it ended up showing up as the main light. So yesterday I drug out my strobes to give it another go around.

Softbox camera left, strobe shot through a shower curtain camera right and onto the background, with a reflector on subjects left as fill.
The sitting post is from the natural light try, the standing is from the strobes. (Im sure you could already tell though, right?)

DS Insisted on having his present in the shot, I wasn't so fond of the bust wrapping paper!

C&C always appreciated on both images.

Attachments

• <untitled> 1.jpg
    <untitled> 1.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 172
  • <untitled> 2.jpg
    <untitled> 2.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 172
I'm confused: You're saying that the left-hand image (seated on the trunk) is ambient light onlY? Looking at the catchlights and highlights, it looks like a strong light source very low and right. Of the two, I think the standing image is the stronger overall; the child has a better expression and a good pose. Two nits that I have with it however are the similarity of tone between his shirt and the background, and the trunk. WHY is there a trunk upended in your living room?

I'm confused: You're saying that the left-hand image (seated on the trunk) is ambient light onlY? Looking at the catchlights and highlights, it looks like a strong light source very low and right. Of the two, I think the standing image is the stronger overall; the child has a better expression and a good pose. Two nits that I have with it however are the similarity of tone between his shirt and the background, and the trunk. WHY is there a trunk upended in your living room?

The first is all ambient, with a reflector propped up camera right. It was kid height when he was standing and then I forgot to raise it when we raised the subject. I *thought* the reflector would just fill in some shadows but because the windows are behind him! the catch lights make it look like a main light, I think?

Why is there a trunk? For pictures of corse? :) bad call? I actually have three in my living room, though they are usually not up ended. ;-)

Last edited:
You had some good window light then. It's not bad, but it is a bit low. I'm not a fan of props, but that's strictly a personal thing. To me, the trunk looks too contrived.

You had some good window light then. It's not bad, but it is a bit low. I'm not a fan of props, but that's strictly a personal thing. To me, the trunk looks too contrived.
Thanks so much for chiming in. I do know what. You mean about props, I've been inching away from them in adult photos but I thought giving the kids something to "do" might work out better. I'm not good with kids!

As for the window light, I am very lucky to have 8 very large windows in the great room, we get AWESOME light in there!! I just need to learn to use it better I guess.

#1: Up-lighting a subject has a narrow use IMO. It emotes a sinister feel to the image..... probably more mischievous than sinister with this kid. :)

#2: You've got a huge block, ~20% of the image that serves absolutely no purpose other than kill the decorated tree.
Your lighting has created another horizon line on the background drapes.
His shirt and the background are very similar in color, making him blend too much.Your reflector may have been handy to provide some separation.
I'm not a fan of the transitions from floor to ceiling. The white tree apron, the cream colored baseboard, the unlit drapes, the lit drapes all seem to be confusing me.

I'm not sure who DS is, but next time you should insist to take shots without the gift and the trunk in them. I mean really, who parks a trunk in front of their Christmas tree?

#1: Up-lighting a subject has a narrow use IMO. It emotes a sinister feel to the image..... probably more mischievous than sinister with this kid. :)

#2: You've got a huge block, ~20% of the image that serves absolutely no purpose other than kill the decorated tree.
His shirt and the background are very similar in color, making him blend too much.Your reflector may have been handy to provide some separation.
I'm not a fan of the transitions from floor to ceiling. The white tree apron, the cream colored baseboard, the unlit drapes, the lit drapes all seem to be confusing me.

I'm not sure who DS is, but next time you should insist to take shots without the gift and the trunk in them. I mean really, who parks a trunk in front of their Christmas tree?
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.

DS stands for dear son.

Most reactions

Back