Christmas Snaps

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basically, I suck at them. How do you guys handle the family Christmas shots - opening presents and kids around the tree type thing. Both me and the kids constantly moving. Bounced the flash where I could. Also tried cranking the ISO and using minimal flash. I'm sure the family will be happy, but I wasn't particularly. So, how do you guys shoot in situations like this?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Depends on how serious you are about it.

If I was "serious" I'd stick one or two studio heads aiming into the corners of the room so they bounce off all the walls and ceiling giving pretty even light, get them balanced / metered out, slap on a radio strobe slave, and work the room.

If less serious, I'd use a speedlight aimed up at 60 degrees.

If I was more interested in participating than shooting, I'd use an lx5 or gf1 w/ the builtin flash.

Post up a couple of your favorites for us.

OK. Here are a couple I think the family will like.

$Merry Christmas.jpg

$Where are my Presents.jpg

$Over the Shoulder.jpg

A few, like the first, had some harsh shadows, and a couple like the last. were soft, but most weren't as bad as I thought. Merry Christmas

My setup was:

35 1.8 at 1/125 f5.6 ISO 400

I had a 1/4 power strobe in the corner of the room where nobody was sitting, with a gary fong :)lmao:) lightdome attached. I had a second strobe at either 1/8 or 1/16 power opposite the first one, pointed straight up at the ceiling. Here are some sample shots.

sHcDm.jpg

xRK2N.jpg

**Note these have not been processed**

Very Nice. You've given me some ideas for next year. If I can throw some light up into that ceiling it should throw a nice light around most of the room.

Most reactions

Back