Christmas time means new toys.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Everyone get ready for the on slot of newness with new toys for the holidays. Well thanks to cyber Monday, new toys hit my house this weekend. I had been wanting an 2x3 softbox for a while now. Adorama was out of stock on them but had a great price on the Glow EZ Lock 28 x 39 softbox in the Bowens mount with with 2 layers of diffusion and a grid.

Had to try it out on the only model I could find. Shot with a Canon 1Dx, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, White Kate Backdrop, Xplor 400 in the softbox (with grid) camera right, foam core reflector camera left and an Xplor 200 with barn doors and blue gel on the background. 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 200 at 105mm.

Softbox practice-58-Edit.jpg

Softbox practice-65-Edit.jpg

Looks good Ron, glasses are a PITA on reflections but you pulled it off. I have a gift cars balance at Adorama, but every time I find something I want it's on backorder. :048:

Looks good Ron, glasses are a PITA on reflections but you pulled it off. I have a gift cars balance at Adorama, but every time I find something I want it's on backorder. :048:

Thanks Smoke. I have been working with glasses for years now. If you notice in the second one, the very top corner has some reflection on it. I had been looking at softboxes for almost a week and decided that it was worth the price to get the little bit bigger box. At this point I'm really happy, the rectangle seems to be a little easier to control the light than the Octabox.

@ronlane bigger is better?? Kinda of depends on what you need. A 22" beauty dish up close works wonders with both males and females. The octabox has its place, as do my rectangular and strip soft boxes. My current favorite is the 72" umbrella. Everything has a place, that's why I love studio.

@ronlane bigger is better?? Kinda of depends on what you need. A 22" beauty dish up close works wonders with both males and females. The octabox has its place, as do my rectangular and strip soft boxes. My current favorite is the 72" umbrella. Everything has a place, that's why I love studio.

Sure bigger is better to a point. IF you get too big it won't fit in the house. I would love to try a 72" SB or Umbrella but I don't have room for that in my house. Studio is the best place for something like that and I'd love to have a studio.

It's always a thrill getting a new toy. Lighting looks damn fine to me.

Studio is the best place for something like that and I'd love to have a studi

When we built our house a studio wasn't planned, but a garage big enough to house a F350 dually was. Now that space with its 10' ceilings serves double duty, if I need something bigger, I can use both sides. Sometimes things work out even without planning. LOL

Looks good, congrats on the new gear! I love my Xplor400s and have been considering picking up a few 24x36 soft boxes for a while as well. Are you able to collapse and store the new softboxes without having to remove the front diffusion material?

Last edited:
Looks good, congrats on the new gear! I love my Xplor400s and have been considering picking up a few 24x36 soft boxes for a while as well. Are you able to collapse and store the new softboxes without having to remove the front diffusion material?

Adam, thank you. I do not think you can collapse and store this one with the diffusion material still on. It has the umbrella type connection that you screw in a plate. But I like it.

I do not think you can collapse and store this one with the diffusion material still on. It has the umbrella type connection that you screw in a plate.
If you skip the plate, can it be collapsed with both layers of diffusion still on? I have an EZ Lock 10x24 softbox I use for a hair light that can collapse with both layers of diffusion and the grid if I skip the deflector plate. The same goes for my 12x56 strip boxes, but they have a zipper on the side so I can attach and detach the deflector plate without having to touch the diffusion material or grid. I’ve heard mixed things about the beauty dishes and deep paras though.

Now your photography will be pristine\ and you look great in new glasses

I do not think you can collapse and store this one with the diffusion material still on. It has the umbrella type connection that you screw in a plate.
If you skip the plate, can it be collapsed with both layers of diffusion still on? I have an EZ Lock 10x24 softbox I use for a hair light that can collapse with both layers of diffusion and the grid if I skip the deflector plate. The same goes for my 12x56 strip boxes, but they have a zipper on the side so I can attach and detach the deflector plate without having to touch the diffusion material or grid. I’ve heard mixed things about the beauty dishes and deep paras though.

Not sure about that. I haven't tried it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back