Church

sandrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Am new and this is first post of a 300 year old Catholic church in Old Town Albuquerque NM.

Attachments

• $image-1571223133.jpg
    $image-1571223133.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 82
Those spires (they have a name I can't remember) are interesting and nicely shot and I'd like to see more of them. I assume they are the point of this photo? Unfortunately, they seem a little lost among several distractions: wood post with chain and two big trees. And I can't see the lower parts of the church, which makes me want to see more of the church, and that's a further distraction. I'd look for a way to isolate the church and its spires from the other elements, or even isolate a single spire or spires from the church in a way that isn't excessively awkward. Or, incorporate a tree as a framing element where it isn't competing for attention. I'm sorry my thoughts and words aren't more coherent at the moment. You probably know what I'm trying to say, though.

Thanks Jaemie, appreciate the feedback. Here is another, do you find this less distracting? Kinda felt like "looking at the heavens" when I was composing shots of said church, the spires were Also more interesting for a tight shot as the complex is rather large.

Attachments

• $image-705419347.jpg
    $image-705419347.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 61
B&W version of 2nd shot

Attachments

• $image-601073635.jpg
    $image-601073635.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 68
Wow. What a difference between the first and the these two! Plus, there's that nicely-captured sky. There's still that tree, and I'd try not to cut the lamps and doorway - either include more, or less. But, this is a much more dramatic and interesting shot. Very nice exposure, too.

Once again thankyou. I am still trying to figure this thing out! 2nd was shot at 18mm f3.5 1/3200 at ISO 200. Sounds like I'd have a better picture if I would have went 28mm? It's a crop sensor (1.6) The skies here are amazing for color, but cloudy days you can count on one hand!

Once again thankyou. I am still trying to figure this thing out! 2nd was shot at 18mm f3.5 1/3200 at ISO 200. Sounds like I'd have a better picture if I would have went 28mm? It's a crop sensor (1.6) The skies here are amazing for color, but cloudy days you can count on one hand!

With this much light, I'd drop the ISO to 100 and also your shutter speed a step or two. You'll get slightly better IQ.

Zoom or prime? I'd stay with the wider angle and just move around to change the composition, if that's an option. Crop in PP if necessary. 18mm suits this subject nicely.

Jaemie said:
With this much light, I'd drop the ISO to 100 and also your shutter speed a step or two. You'll get slightly better IQ.

Zoom or prime? I'd stay with the wider angle and just move around to change the composition, if that's an option. Crop in PP if necessary. 18mm suits this subject nicely.

Will try lower ISO next time around. That was a canon kit lens 18-55mm 3.5 -5.6 with a CP on too if I remember correctly. I was thinking of buying a 50mm prime to use for portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back