sdgmusic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sean-degroote.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Forgive me, total noob here.

I have recently picked-up a Circular Polarizer and UV filter. Can or should I use them together? use the UV all the time? Use the Polarizer with or without the UV? if together in which order?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend stacking them. Stacking filters can cause lens flare.

UV filters are mostly used as protection for the front of the lens, they might have some affect on the image but not much. I don't use them on my lenses, but I might consider it if I was using a $1000+ lens. Even then, a polarizer will offer the same amount of protection, albeit the CP is more expensive. A good solid lens hood is what I rely on...in case I drop my camera/lens.

I would use the polarizer as much as possible when outdoors. It does rob some light, so you may want to take it off when the light gets dim.

I prefer the hard ones (as long as it's the right hood for the lens and doesnt cause vignetting)...but a rubber hood is better than none at all, I have a couple of those myself.

Both filters will cause flare as mentioned above. However the polariser takes a 1 stop hit so if you put the polariser on the outside and the UV filter on the inside then flare is reduced a bit compared to the other arrangement. But the usual rules apply for flare, keep the lens away from light sources and you won't have a problem.

I use both the UV and polariser at the same time the reason being is I try not to remove the UV filter in the field where dirt can easily get onto the lens element. As such I have a 30 year old lens in pristine condition.

The only thing to watch out for is vignetting. If I stack both my filters and then zoom to 18mm the filters will be visible in the extreme edge of the frame.

never stack glass on top of each other if it is not needed. any polarizer is a UV anyway ... actually most glass is a UV filter anyway ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back