Circular Polarized Filter

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bought my first filter today - before I open it, does anyone know if the Hoya Pro 1 Digital Filter is a good one?

put it on, point it at the sky at a group of clouds or something then rotate the CPL on the end and you will see the clouds get more defined and have more contrast. I LOVE my Tiffen CPL I haven't had a blown out sky in a while since I have been using it

CW nailed it, as you spin the end you'll see the polarizing effect change so you can adjust how much affect it has.

All the time? It's great for outdoor shooting, as the purpose is geared towards reflections caused by the sun; I wouldn't keep it on indoors or anything. It will help reduce haze, reflections [on non-metallic surfaces], and increase saturation of colors. That said, it's most effective when you're at a 90 degree angle to the sun (morning or evening, but not with the sun directly in front of or behind you).

Last edited:
Pretty much every nicely made antiglare coated filter is good. This is one of them. A bit expensive compared to the SHMC series from Hoya, but good none the less.

Well... you could leave it on all the time, I just wouldn't recommend it. If you shoot inside or in low light you will find that the filter on the end will first off do nothing, it will actually just take some of the light up and could result in a lower shutter speed. However.... if all you do is shoot outdoors where there is plenty of light, no real harm in that!

another good way to check out what the CPL does, aim your camera at the computer screen and turn it, you will see the screen get darker and darker then go black

I would recommed bw but hoya is not bad
It is actually B+W, not bw.

A CPL gives the most saturation and contrast when your lens axis is 90 degree's from the Sun. Straight overhead does not count.

The CPL is most effective when the Sun is also no higher than 30 degrees above the horizon, while being 90 degeree's to eh lens axis.

Control of reflections is a CPL's greatest benefit outside the above parameters. It will still give some saturation of the colors but not as much as during the first and last hours of the day.

so morning and evenings are the best, and keep the sun to my side. Ok I think I got it :D.

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the knowledge you guys toss my way.

Most reactions

Back