Circular Polarizer

Olympus8MP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thecodesource.solarbotics.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a circular polarizing filter, and realized one major pain... If your using a lens hood, you have to take it off to adjust the polarization. This is really bad on my telephoto, as the lens face turns as it focuses :confused: Anyone else have this problem? Or do I even need a lens hood with the CPF?

It does make the outdoor pictures look very nice though :thumbup:

I just bought a circular polarizing filter, and realized one major pain... If your using a lens hood, you have to take it off to adjust the polarization. This is really bad on my telephoto, as the lens face turns as it focuses :confused: Anyone else have this problem? Or do I even need a lens hood with the CPF?

It does make the outdoor pictures look very nice though :thumbup:

well, CPF as you call it does not reduce the need for a lens hood.

however, as the effect of a polariser is best if the sun is at 90 degree, there will be probably less problems with stray light than if it was at a smaller angle.

if an image looks ok without the hood, go for it.

with my telefoto there is no rotation fortunately. also it has a retractable hood which cannot be removed, but when you pull it back you can adjust the polariser.

OK, allow me this little gloat: The new Pentax hoods have a snap-off removable section of the hood so you can get a finger in to rotate the polarizer. :D

So I'm not alone here, or missing something? And it actually is a pain to use both?

You're not alone. Along those lines it also sucks to use a lens hood on some lenses, they make it nearly impossible to get the lens cap off and on.

Seems to me that this discussion is more about the modern
'I want it NOW and I don't intend to put forth any effort!'
mind set rather than about lens caps and lens hoods.

I work from a tripod for shots where a polarizer is considered
de rigeur. Speed and convenience do not make my short list
of important things.

Where ease of operation is important, as in street photography,
I wouldn't bother with a polarizing filter.

Seems to me that this discussion is more about the modern
'I want it NOW and I don't intend to put forth any effort!'
mind set rather than about lens caps and lens hoods.

I work from a tripod for shots where a polarizer is considered
de rigeur. Speed and convenience do not make my short list
of important things.

Where ease of operation is important, as in street photography,
I wouldn't bother with a polarizing filter.

The polarizer will be nice this summer when I'm at car shows, as it helps to eliminate reflections from the windshields and chrome. A tripod is not always an easy thing to use at some shows, or the dragstrip.

I don't so much agree with the "i want it now" method. I'd rather have quality than quantity.

One quick question however. In a few weeks I will be going to the Cleveland international auto show. I intend to take my DSLR. Should i use my polarizer there to get rid of the reflections of the overhead lights on the cars, or is this considered a good reflection. I see on TV, people leave the reflections on there, as it adds a neat sparkly quality to the paint. I think it also might not be bright enough inside to use a filter and hand-hold. Any input is appreciated.

Where ease of operation is important, as in street photography, I wouldn't bother with a polarizing filter.

I think ease of operation is always preferable, whether you do street shooting or not. Not that I'd buy a specific camera based only on the ease of rotating a polarizing filter with the lens hood on, but personally I don't really see why it's ever better to make things difficult when you can make them easy.

dont mind me....but i was under the impression that a circular polarizer did not need rotating...that they were designed for auto focus lens that rotate...where as a liniar polarizer does need to be rotated for said effect to take place....

well then.... I see your piston avitar and raise you a rotary.

2B571DB900B94B8EA4C2640263012BB6.gif

sorry about the randomness, but I love supporting my car.

fighttheheathens as far as I understand it the linear polariser prevents the auto focus of a camera working correctly. The principles of the the polariser stay the same for both. They have and angle and that angle can change to let through different light.

Only the cheaper autofocus lenses have a rotating ring, mine is stationary but this ofcourse does not eliminate the need to adjust the polariser. Depending which way you look in relation to the polarised light means rotating the filter.

I keep my lens hood in my pocket when using a polariser and only use it if I really need it. Most of the time a flare can be eliminated be holding your hand towards the sun but out of frame.

dont mind me....but i was under the impression that a circular polarizer did not need rotating...that they were designed for auto focus lens that rotate...where as a liniar polarizer does need to be rotated for said effect to take place....

I don't know the specifics of how things work but I can promise that the 'circular' polarizers do have a different effect as you rotate the filter. Also, interstingly, on my D50 I have used a linear polarizer and it worked fine. I still bought a circular polarizer in case there was an effect I didn't see at the time but I barely noticed any differences between the two types of filters.

Lest I be misunderstood, let me state for the record that if I can have things easier, I'll take it, thank you!

In many cases, though, a rough 'Law of Reality' told to me years ago by a brilliant Polish engineer comes into play. I'll quote him:

'Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two. You won't get the third.'

Sometimes the route to making something marginally easier is not worth travelling.

Regards to all.

Most reactions

Back