Circular Polarizers for shooting cars?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been debating about getting a CPL filter for when I go to car shows and when I do car photoshoots because when I was shooting my friend's maroon Camaro, it looked red in the pictures. The reflections from the sky and the green trees just really messed up the colors. Granted his car is ultra reflective, he buffs it so much that it's literally a mirror haha.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do make my car shots better and I've been doing some research on CPL filters and while some say they work and others say they can make the car look "dull". Also they can add black or dark spots on the car..of course it depends where the sun is hitting it and how much affect you add using the adjustment ring.

I don't have a lot of experience using CPL filters so I'm looking for some advice on this if whether or not I should get one. My concern is that CPL filters are generally for removing reflections from non-metallic surfaces.

Would spending a $100 on a nice B+W CPL be worth the money for basically removing reflection from the windows/headlights and maybe add a bit of "pop" to the car's paint?

I would say that a CPOL is essential for automotive photography. Windows, lights, paint... it can REALLY help you cut down on nasty reflections, but it's important to remember that you need to use it in the right circumstances. A polarizer will have the greatest effect when used at 90 to the light source; if you're using the sun, basically that means the golden hour with the sun at your shoulder; at noon, expect to get almost zero benefit from it.

I would say that a CPOL is essential for automotive photography. Windows, lights, paint... it can REALLY help you cut down on nasty reflections, but it's important to remember that you need to use it in the right circumstances. A polarizer will have the greatest effect when used at 90 to the light source; if you're using the sun, basically that means the golden hour with the sun at your shoulder; at noon, expect to get almost zero benefit from it.

What if you have no choice but to go against the 90 degree rule? This is why I LOVE to shoot cars on cloudy days..its like a huge soft box.

You do what you have to do; chances are you're rarely going to be able to set the car up to shoot it at 90 degrees to sunrise. All I meant is that's when you will see the greatest effect. You can almost turn a blue sky black.

You should still be able to cut down some of the reflections. Just remember it won't do anything about reflections from unpainted metal (chrome).

Most reactions

Back