Circular Polarizers

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wanting to purchase a circular polarizer filter and was wondering what everyone would suggest to buy?

I've tried to do a little research and think I've come to the conclusion that some of the better one's to get are Hoya, Heliopan and B+W??? Do you recommend these yourself? Are there any others that I should consider?

I've also read a few things on HMC are better lens to get? Do they make that much of a difference with the extra coatings?

Do I really have to buy a different filter for each lens I have if they are different sizes? I read something about buying the ?biggest? size needed and stepping it down? Can someone explain this to me?

Anyone know of any good sites that might have any of these lens for a good price?

I can't recommend a certain brand or model. My strategy with filters is to avoid the cheapest ones but not to splurge on the most expensive ones either. I'd probably go with a moderately priced Hoya or B+W...or whatever name brand etc.

High quality coatings do help but do make them more expensive. I really don't know the details about lens/filter coatings.

No, you don't have to buy several filters. The best strategy is probably to get a filter to fit your largest lens and the get 'step-up rings' for the other lenses. They are just simple metal rings with different sized threads. One side for the lens and the other side for the filter. You obviously don't want to use a small filter on a large lens though...so always go with the large filter on smaller lenses.
step up rings | B&H Photo Video

No, you don't have to buy several filters. The best strategy is probably to get a filter to fit your largest lens and the get 'step-up rings' for the other lenses. They are just simple metal rings with different sized threads. One side for the lens and the other side for the filter. You obviously don't want to use a small filter on a large lens though...so always go with the large filter on smaller lenses.
step up rings | B&H Photo Video

Ok, I have a 55mm and a 49mm. So I would buy the 55mm filter, then just the step up ring for a 49mm to 55mm? So I'm a little confused...I would have to remove the 55mm polarizer and install that on the step up ring and then install on the 49mm right? So it would be sticking out bigger than the actual camera lens? You wouldn't be able to put the hood on it then right?

Ok, I have a 55mm and a 49mm. So I would buy the 55mm filter, then just the step up ring for a 49mm to 55mm? So I'm a little confused...I would have to remove the 55mm polarizer and install that on the step up ring and then install on the 49mm right? So it would be sticking out bigger than the actual camera lens?
Yes, that's pretty much the idea.

You wouldn't be able to put the hood on it then right?
Sometimes yes, the use of a step up ring may interfere with the use of a lens hood. Lens hoods are can be a hassle with Cir Pol filters because you need to rotate the filter and that can be hard with a hood on.

When I'm shooting landscapes with a cir pol filter...I might skip the lens hood and just hold my hand/hat over the lens to block the sun and act as a hood.

I have a few Sunpak filters I bought at Best Buy (a UV and a CPL), and also a red B+W filter. The B+W filter just feels a dozen times better than the other filters.

However, it did turn out to be sort of a good thing that I didn't buy more expensive filters, because I no longer use the lens I bought them for. My old lens was a 58mm lens, and my new lens has a 72mm thread. When I get around to buying filters for the new lens, I won't be buying Sunpak.

IF you go onto ebay you can get screw fit lens hoods which are a good alternative if you want a hood with a circular polarizer, since the hood will screw into the front filter thread on the filter; thus you get the hood with the added abilty to turn the CP without difficulty.
Note that with stepping rings and different lenses you might get a vignetting problem with some lenses in a setup.

Thanks Big Mike for the info.
I will be buying the step up ring.

Anyone else that can comment on the filter and their experience's with any of the brands?

Is a Sonia or Tiffen ok to use as well?

I have a few Sunpak filters I bought at Best Buy (a UV and a CPL), and also a red B+W filter. The B+W filter just feels a dozen times better than the other filters.
When I get around to buying filters for the new lens, I won't be buying Sunpak.

Ok, Sunpak is off the list. Thanks :wink:

Note that with stepping rings and different lenses you might get a vignetting problem with some lenses in a setup.

Do you feel that I would get much of a vignetting from a 49mm to 55mm? Or is it usually when there is a bigger jump between sizes? If it's going to vignette, I would just rather buy a polarizer for both then.

I have no idea -but if your using a crop sensor camera then vignetting is very minimal in generall (since your already ignoring a good portion of the outer areas of the lens).

also I meant hoods more than the stepping rings (sorry misswrote the last part).
I would say that from 49-55mm you should be pretty much safe

I have no idea -but if your using a crop sensor camera then vignetting is very minimal in generall (since your already ignoring a good portion of the outer areas of the lens).

How would I know if my camera is a "crop sensor" camera?

How would I know if my camera is a "crop sensor" camera?
It has to do with the size of the digital sensor. Cameras with a sensor that is the same size as 35mm film are considered 'full frame'. Smaller than that and we call it a 'crop sensor'.
THIS PAGE, gives you the size of your sensor and also says that it has a 1.5 'focal length multiplier'....also known as 'Crop Factor'.

So yes, you do have a 'crop sensor camera'.

Full frame cameras include the Sony A900, Canon 5D and 1Ds, and the Nikon D700 & D3.

I have Nikon,Hoya and, B+W CPs. All of them multi-coated and all of them thin. Im not much for stepping rings you usually loose the use of the lens hood. Granted you can get hoods to remedy that. What the multi-coats do is reduce internal reflections from the glass elements. I would suggest any of the ones I use especially the Nikon filter, it is somewhat lighter in color over the other two manufacturers but, works just as well.

The trick for judging a polarizing filter is to hold it in front of you to reflect a light or window behind you. The one with the weakest reflection is the best polarizer.

skieur

Most reactions

Back