Cityscape night shot

kindjordan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found this forum and I was intersted in hearing an opinon of a photo I took last night. I am a beginning photographer who just got a new camera and Im trying to learn the ropes. Any comments would be apreicated.

testvf1.jpg

umm... nice photo, but what is that red white and blue streak in the sky, my only guess is a plane?

Heya, welcome to ThePhotoForum!
It is cool to see that the first photo you are showing us here is a nighttime photo of ... where?

My son and I stared at this for a long time, wondering if we find the approaching planes a distraction or not? And we came to the conclusion that they are quite much distracting from the town-scape you tried to capture here, but that they also fascinate us quite a bit. Their given passage way towards the airport is so clearly outlined.

My son then said: if he was standing there and the planes were coming, what else could he do? They are distracting but also ... well: there! Part of the scene. I think he is right.

Thank you for your comments. The orignal is a photo from my bedroom in Yonkers, NY. It is 12 miles North of New York City. You look directly at the George Washington Bridge and Manhattan in the backround.

I live on the approach path for La Guardia so yes, you are seeing numerious planes in the picture. It is usually a busy sky so I am also able to create photographs like this!

cityscape22.gif

Can anyone comment on the quality of the orignal top photo? I just purchaced a new camera and I was wondering what the general thoughts on quality were.

My own oppinion, I'd say if you photoshop'd those planes out, it would be an amazing picture. It's a great shot as it is, but it would be better if those planes were not there.

I think either no planes, or make a longer exposure and get LOTS of planes. I'm not a big fan of light pollution near cities (for astronomy reasons), but it is a nice skyglow to set the light trails against. I for one like the trails. as for the camera quality, my highly trained eye (read: no training at all, and clueless) sees no faults. :)

I see a nice pan photo excentuating the skys beautiful color waiting to happen...

Somthing like this Pac?

testnoplanerx1.jpg

Again thank you for all of your nice comments. I guess i am just unsure of myself as a photograher. I just bought a Nikon D80 with 18-135mm and I feel a bit intimidated by all of the features and manual modes. I think its about time I take a Photography class:)

That`s what my son and I were thinking about (with less visible traces of where the planes had once been), and I feel this does the nighttime cityscape as such some more justice, yes.
But my son also could not hide his fascination with the planes as they were THERE and he felt as if cloning them out might not do the scene as you see it every night any justice.
You see, it remains a debatable issue.

I like that animated photo of yours! Cool thing!!! :D

pacereve said:
Much better, I think. :D

I'm terrified of heights, I'd like to errase all airplanes :p

Erase all planes?? Oh no!...we couldnt do that. How else would we get these great backdrops.

myaviationnetphotoid00497972hi1.jpg

myaviationnetphotoid00498809pn7.jpg

Most reactions

Back