Classic Bike + Pretty girl =

Johno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a couple from a recent shoot with my friend Fiona. The bike is 1920's vintage and has just recently been restored. Comments and crits welcome!

1) Desaturated this image quite a bit. I like the way it turned out.
IMG_0356A.jpg

2)Not usually a big fan of selective colouring, but whatevs.
IMG_0372A.jpg

3)
IMG_0323A.jpg

Thanks
J

I like the first one most! Love the colourm the composition and the contrast.

Possible improvements: maybe align the coastline in the background to horizontal, ... not sure however as it might lose tension then. Also the verticals might then get wrecked ... so maybe just forget it and it is perfect already ;) But I would play with alignment a bit and see what comes out ...

no comment on the second ... very unsure here.

regarding the 3rd, looks like some advert from a health insurance company ;) .. don't ask me why it creates this association ! ;)

Alex_B said:
maybe align the coastline in the background to horizontal

I went into CS2 to level the horizon on no. 1, Discovered that it already was level..... hm..... I think the the strong lines on the log at the bottom of the frame pull it off.... weird.... :hertz:

ok... I like the first one a lot! but the only little thing is that I would capture the whole bike's wheel in a shot!

2. I think it would be perfect in whole black and white! but still it is great!

3. I would love it if there was no "pole" growing out o her head...

My biggest critique is that overall the model and the bike look disconnected from each other. Like we don't know which one is supposed to be the subject of the picture (minus the 3rd one!) I agree with Mentos about including all of the wheels of the bike. That would make the first one my favorite.

in the first one I do not necessarily think that one should show the whole bike, that would take away some tension from the image which is now in. But maybe more should be shown. One could show half of the wheels for example, and not hide the rest behind the wooden something in the foreground but just using the lower border of the image.

regarding bike and model being not connected, this is something I like in the first, and on the other hand don't like in the second.

regarding the horizon/coastline in the first one... in my PS it is not aligned horizontally.

Johno said:
I went into CS2 to level the horizon on no. 1, Discovered that it already was level..... hm..... I think the the strong lines on the log at the bottom of the frame pull it off.... weird.... :hertz:

Hmmm, when I check it by scrolling it down to the edge of the window its tilted about 1* up to the left.

ShutteredEye said:
Hmmm, when I check it by scrolling it down to the edge of the window its tilted about 1* up to the left.

I am on glue! :oops: Thanks for helping a Rookie out guys! I really appreciate it! I'm just going to slink away now! :pale:

Johno said:
Can you guys suggest any way to strengthen the connection between the two?

you did in #3 ;)

i have no problem with a connection in #2...i see it, but i agree with others comments regarding #1 - i kinda see it but my eyes keep shifting between the girl and bike. the log at the bottom is a bit distracting.

very nice series :thumbup:

One thing to remember about horizon lines is that there are only flat if they are a true horizon. Actually slightly curved, but mostly flat. When you have a lake meeting the mountains like that, it's not a horizon and it will be only horizontal if the shore is perpendicular to a line from you to the shore. If the shore moves away from you on the left, it will go up the image. It can still throw the image off, but if you try to correct it, it can throw off other areas of the image. If you tilt that first one any more to the left, it will look like she's going to slide off those pillars.

As to the image, I do like the first one, but not the log in front. Maybe a crop that takes it out and some of the sky. Not a lot of people seem to like square crops, but I think it would work here.

Actually, funny you mention it marc, just yesterday for fun I did a square crop, cropping away the wood in the foreground and alot of the sky with PS. Also I aligned the shoreline horizontally (it is a very strong line in that image, so it really makes a difference I think).

Actually I really liked the result, also it automatically it followed some rule of thirds both vertically and horizontally. However a slightly larger crop would have been better (which could not be done though due to the rotating to align).

Anyway, did not save those PS-experiments as it is not my image and I am not sure if allowed ;)

Alex_B said:
Anyway, did not save those PS-experiments as it is not my image and I am not sure if allowed ;)
Feel free! I'm still learning any help is more than welcome and I learn well from demonstrations! "Portrait"ish photography isn't my strong point and I trust most of your guy's judgement!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back