Cleaning a mirror lens

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought a 750mm Hanimex lens for $30 that's a bit dirty. Unfortunately, it's dirty inside, too. Not too bad, but enough that it's probably going to effect image quality. My question is, can I just use windex on the mirror? Or are they coated and need a special cleaner?

...I don't think it would be any different than cleaning any other lens. It won't do anything about the stuff on the inside, obviously - but the normal methods should be fine.

edit
I would use Eclipse, if you have it or can get it.

First time I've heard of Eclipse. I just googled it. I have Zeiss lens cleaners that were given to me for Christmas last year. They definitely are not 5ppm, lol. Pretty streaky.

I'll have to pick some up.

Anyone know if the mirrors have a special coating? Or are they just regular mirrors?

So I bought a 750mm Hanimex lens for $30 that's a bit dirty. Unfortunately, it's dirty inside, too. Not too bad, but enough that it's probably going to effect image quality. My question is, can I just use windex on the mirror? Or are they coated and need a special cleaner?
There are 2 mirrors in the lens. The large primary and a smaller mirror on the backside of the corrector plate (front of the lens).

You don't want to disturb the collimation (alignment) of the 2 mirrors.

I would not use use Windex. As a last resort, a huff of breath is preferrable, a solution of 90% distilled water and 10% isopropyl alcohol otherwise.

Gently use a blower and brush without touching the mirrors with anything but brush bristles.

Virtually all lenses have dust inside them, and the dust has little effect on image quality.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back