Cleaning and Prevention

jdgreen92086

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I got my Canon 400D a few days ago and I have dust on my lens. My bro told me to get a lens cap which I guess is a clear lens cover to screw on the lens while shooting. So I was wondering if you had any suggestions as far as that goes. I need a cleaning kit as well. If I have to I will order the lens cap, but I'd like to get the cleaning kit locally. Probably Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... Not sure if any Pro stores are around my area. I'll do a little digging to find out, though.

Also, anything else you would suggest I buy for my camera.

Thanks alot. I have some pictures I will upload soon. Quick snapshots.

Edit: A question. When coming inside from the cold, what do you do to prevent fogging/condensation and etc.

A lens cap is usually an solid black plastic cap that clips on over the front of the lens. I always use one. Some people use a UV filter to protect the lens but you still need a lens cap or the dust gets on the fliter just like it gets on the lens.

Lens cleaning.
A. First step, always use a blower and/or a brush to clean grit off the lens before touching it.

b. Use a liquid lens cleaner and lens cleaning tissue.

c. In the field, I use a lenspen if I get a fingerprint on the lens glass.

d. Always blow and/or brush the glass before you touch it for cleaning.

Okay, so I have an idea of what I need. UV filter to keep on my camera, a blower, and a lenspen. Is a brush and a Lenspen the same thing?

For a UV filter, do I need anything specific or should I just get a cheap 58mm? Where do I get a blower?

Think that is all I need? What about Anti-Fog spray?

Okay, so I have an idea of what I need. UV filter to keep on my camera, a blower, and a lenspen. Is a brush and a Lenspen the same thing?

For a UV filter, do I need anything specific or should I just get a cheap 58mm? Where do I get a blower?

Think that is all I need? What about Anti-Fog spray?

A lenspen is a brush on one end and a felt tip on the other...ya basically that's a brush you can use.

You can get a blower at a photo store. Best buy MAY have one.

Do NOT get a cheap UV filter. I tried it...didn't work so well, and ruined every shot I took with it.

Get a multi-coated filter. Hoya, B+W, stuff like that...

As far as a blower, I have one of those booger sucker things you use on babies. Have had it for years. Cheap and durable. Walmart, I am sure, would have them.

Most reactions

Back