cleaning lens questions....

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what does everyone use to clean their len's? could baby wipes work? to harsh? specific cleaner? water? alchohol what? i bought a battery grip for my camera and they tossed in some cheap ass cleaning components kinda worried about using them but i dont know. As far as like lint or soemthing that can be brushed off i just use a little blower and soft bristled brush. Just not sure about fingerprints or smudges type of things.

I will often just use breath and a clean bit of cotton (T-shirt)...but mostly I use a lens cloth.

I also have a 'lens pen' which does a decent job.

I've used breath and clean cotton (I use white darkroom gloves) or micro-fiber lens cloths, and nothing else for over a decade, and it's kept my lenses shooting clean.

I have lens solution that can be picked up at any camera shop as well as a microfiber cloth. Do not use baby wipes. They have something in them that leave a film on glass. I found this out the hard way one morning wiping off my windshield in my truck...

Just pickup a lens pen, microfiber cloth, and good cleaning solution, then follow the instructions.

Hmm, a cleaning material with very low abrasion ... usually a micro-cloth.

A cleaning liquid that does not leave a film.

I only just use a micro-cloth (or my shirt).

If it's just dusty (no fingerprints or smudges) a lens brush works great.

Step 1. Rocket Blower, several puffs. Check Glass. Clean, leave alone. Dirty move on to step 2. Never any brushes of any type. They can grab nasty stuff and scratch a lens if not well cared for.

Step 2. Lens tissue and photographic lens cleaner. Not glasses cleaner, not Windex or any other no job specific liquid. Always with soft gently swirls from the center of the lens outward. Dry with clean microfiber cloth same way, again only with microfiber designed for photographic lenses.

Step 3. Never had to use step three, but if it ever gets to this, factory repair service for a through cleaning and calibration.

Ok, technically I am at step 3 right now. The focus motor on my 24-70 f2.8 started acting up and it is at Canon right now for repair. The lens will get cleaned and calibrated before return. But only because of the focus issue.

Most reactions

Back