Cleaning out dust from D40x! Please Help!

david3558

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
EDIT:
Garbz, you were absolutely right. I managed to unclip the focusing screen and the shim and used a small blower to remove the dust. However, I foolishly cleaned the focusing screen with a cloth. There are many many grooves on the screen that hold onto the dust. Does anyone know how I can clean the screen? Where can I get a replacement? I looked on Adorama and B&H but they only have focusing screens for the D3, D2x, etc.

Also another question, what is the mirror that "folds" into the reflex mirror? It seems that there is a a smaller one underneath the larger reflex mirror.

Thanks
David

I had the same problem on the weekend, I used the microfiber cloth to clean the mirror, then carefully turned the camera upside down, do it on your back if thats easy so you don't get dust in the camera. Set your camera to B mode, and open up the shutter, use the blower to blow the dust out. But don't touch the sensor. I had a mark on all my images, and now the marks gone.

Guys be very careful cleaning your mirrors. The cameras focus through them. A smudge on the mirror can wreak havoc on your autofocus.

The thing above the mirror is the ground glass focusing screen, something the image is projected on by the mirror that you look through to show what's in focus. If the dust is not on the mirror and not on the screen, and you can see it than it's either in your viewfinder or on the pentaprism (pentamirror on these cheaper SLRs) itself. This is unfortunately a service job for all but the very skilled camera disassemblers.

Hmm interesting Garbz you may have solved my problem with my autofocus not working too good. I might have to get some propper gear to clean the mirror.

why not take it to a pro camera store and have them clean it for you?? if they screw it up, they have to fix it and at least they have the right equipment!!

why not take it to a pro camera store and have them clean it for you?? if they screw it up, they have to fix it and at least they have the right equipment!!

i agree, why not spend the money you were going to use on cleaning supplies and take it in to get it fixed properly. it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a camera and then ruin it because you didn't want to spend the money to get it cleaned by someone who does it for a living.

If it won't clean up by blowing out, send it in to Nikon for cleaning. Not expensive and quick turnaround.

Not worth messing up a sensor.

I regularly send ours in for cleaning after vacations.... had more than a few problems last go around in the Tetons with stuff getting in the body... windy and dusty... downside to DSLR's but photoshop took care of it and the worst blew out - after I noticed it.

Guys be very careful cleaning your mirrors. The cameras focus through them. A smudge on the mirror can wreak havoc on your autofocus.

The thing above the mirror is the ground glass focusing screen, something the image is projected on by the mirror that you look through to show what's in focus. If the dust is not on the mirror and not on the screen, and you can see it than it's either in your viewfinder or on the pentaprism (pentamirror on these cheaper SLRs) itself. This is unfortunately a service job for all but the very skilled camera disassemblers.

Garbz, you were absolutely right. I managed to unclip the focusing screen and the shim and used a small blower to remove the dust. However, I foolishly cleaned the focusing screen with a cloth. There are many many grooves on the screen that hold onto the dust. Does anyone know how I can clean the screen? Where can I get a replacement? I looked on Adorama and B&H but they only have focusing screens for the D3, D2x, etc.

Also another question, what is the mirror that "folds" into the reflex mirror? It seems that there is a a smaller one underneath the larger reflex mirror.

Thanks
David

Most reactions

Back