Cleaning Shutter button?

wil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an AE1 that only fires when the button is tapped not held, Its either a short or dirt, grim build up. How would this be cleaned. If I cant do it myself I'll break down and send it in. Thx

wil said:
I have an AE1 that only fires when the button is tapped not held, Its either a short or dirt, grim build up. How would this be cleaned. If I cant do it myself I'll break down and send it in. Thx

Hi Wil,

It's easy! Buy some Naphta or Ronsonol lighter fluid (for older type lighters) and drop one to two drops on top of the shutter button so that the fluid can go down and clean the shaft. Don't worry, that fluid evaporates quickly without any residue.

If that doesn't do it, you'll need a set of jewelers' screwdrivers. Take the bottom plate off and place all screws in a little container. Remove plate. Now look on one of its sides, you should see a little electromagnet in the shape of letter "U" and a plastic lever that has a metal contact which closes the "U". Drop a few drops of Ronsonol on and blow on it. put plate back and screws as well. That should take care of it. If it doesn't work (and it should) you might have other internal problems. PM me and I'll PM back with the e-mail of a Canon tech which worked on my AE1 and A1.

Most reactions

Back