Cleaning viewfinder?

Jeff92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have developed about 6 spots on my viewfinder. They are really annoying to me. I assume they are makeup from my gf but I an having trouble removing them. I really don't want to scratch the viewfinder trying to clean it with a qtip or something and I don't have any lens cleaner. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming you dont have a lens pen?

Well, if you can see it, that means it's on the focusing screen, not the sensor.

The good news is that it won't be visible in your pictures. The bad news is that it's annoying to look at all the time.

Try a bulb blower first. Whatever you do, be very careful when it comes to cleaning the focusing screen... They are semi-fragile, and not something you want to damage.

I do have a lens pen. I didn't think even the round, not brush end, would fit in there, though I didn't try. I did however try the brush with no success. I guess I will have to order some small qtip like lens cleaners and some solution. I think its the gfs makeup. I went after it with a clean microfiber and that didn't do anything either

Try one of those sensor cleaner, might be easier to handle in tight spaces.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a lenspen and a blower. Im not sure a blower will take off mascara or whatever it is but I will be going after it later. I really don't want to have to use a qtip but it seriously bugs me

I can sometimes get the side of the lens pen in there, enough to kind of loosen stuff up, and then use the brush to clear it out.

With the viewfinder itself (not the focusing mirror) I find that a mini-lenspen can just about fit inside to clean the viewfinder without any problems. The lenspen itself is a bit too big for this function I find.

Got it. It was actually dust on the mirror. Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back