Cleaning?

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last weekend I was out on a photo shoot, everything went fine, until I got home and saw something on my circular polarizer. I attempted to clean it off but it just kept smearing around. At first I thought it might be sap, but it wasn't warm enough and I didn't even get that close to the trees for it to be sap (besides, my lens cap is on when I'm not shooting).. anyways, I just can't get it off.

I don't want to scratch it, so I haven't tried very many different methods of cleaning, but does anyone have any recommendations? Or can you take filters into camera shops to have them cleaned?

Use lens cleaning fluid and a lint free cloth.

Maybe it just needs some more elbow grease :scratch:.

Maybe try dish soap and water, that may help if it's an greasy substance.

I wasn't sure if I could try that or not.. I know that's what I clean my glasses with if they're really bad, but I don't really care about my glasses, ya know? :)

If it was the front of a lens, I'd tell you to just use a bit more force...the coatings on modern lenses is very hard to actually scratch. With a filter, I don't know.

Well, thanks anyways Mike :) I'll try with the soap and water. I mean, it's not like I can use them if this gunk stays on them, so if they get ruined trying to clean them *shrug* There's a chance they'll come clean, and I don't have to replace 'em, better to take the chance I say.

why is everyone using q-tips ... the worst thing to use on glass besides diamonds ;)

Because the cleaning kit I got said to? :) I blame them

Because the cleaning kit I got said to? :) I blame them

well, if they are not scratchy, they are at least always smeary and have a round tip, which is not too useful with glassy areas... never got a cleaning kit for lenses which said to use them !?

try the cleaning alcohol and elbow grease as suggested.
It's only a filter - it may work a treat.

I'm not sure i'd get too worked up about it since it's only the filter and not the actual lens. It'll be fairly inexpensive to replace if the elbow grease scrapes or damages it.

try the cleaning alcohol and elbow grease as suggested.
It's only a filter - it may work a treat.

I'm not sure i'd get too worked up about it since it's only the filter and not the actual lens. It'll be fairly inexpensive to replace if the elbow grease scrapes or damages it.
Can't afford to just replace filters that are only a couple months old, so doesn't matter how inexpensive they are.. besides, between the two it's almost a hundred dollars.. that's not exactly cheap. Not as costly as a lens, sure, but I don't have money to blow.

But thanks for all the suggestions everyone :) Appreciate it

Most reactions

Back