Clear photos and lens choice for the Nikon D5000

Tbehl1214

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a Nikon D5000 with the kit lens (18-55 mm) and the 18-200mm lens. I am new to this and cannot seem to get a clear and crisp photo. I typically only use S mode or A mode. No auto. I've read everything about being really still, using a tripod, etc. Is there anything I can do using either of these lens to correct this? I've played around with the shutter speed, but still no luck. I can't get blurry backgrounds with my 18-55 but they seem to be a little more clearer. The other lens will produce a blur, but my subjects are fuzzy! I attached a photo that I wish would have been a little better. :(

Also, If I am going to be taking pictures of families are these two lens okay? I was hoping to get a new lens, but can't spend a lot while I am learning. I've been reading a lot about the 35mm, 50mm, and 85 mm but have no clue what would work best for portraits. Any advice?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Jack 005.jpg
    Jack 005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
Hmmm. That was shot at 1/160 second at f/5 with ISO of 800. Shutter speed should have been ok to prevent movement-related blur but maybe you're getting some ISO-related noise? Not sure- how the D5000 does with ISO above 640.

You would need a friend or family member who also shoots Nikon, but if you have the ability to methodically swap and compare gear, I would suggest that route:

1. Take a sample shot with your rig.
2. Take the identical shot using your lens on the "other" camera.
3. Take the identical shot using your camera with the "other" lens.
4. Take the identical shot using the "other" camera and the "other" lens.

This would allow you to rule out a hardware issue in terms of either defective body or defective lens. If you find a clear culprit then there you go- if not then we must be dealing with a technique issue.

Looks like a lot of camera movement to me.

When I first saw that photo i was thinking ISO noise myself but it depends how quickly they were moving.

I recommend you practice taking shots in brighter situations first to fine tune your technique.
Start with inanimate objects, then try people. Get sharp photos.
The bright day should keep your ISO low and let you focus on Shutter and Aperture.

You'll also want to learn about Focus Modes and Areas to fine tune how/what you focus on especially with people.

Then you can learn more about the limits of your d500's ISO control as then you can start improving your lower light shots with the sun starting to wane such as the one you attached.

The Nikon 5000 ISO normal range is from 200 to 3,200.
My Nikon d7000 had the same processor as the D5100, which was good to ISO 1600.
So I would think the d5000 would be good up to ISO 800 or so, but only testing would tell.

The problem is what we call motion blur. You correct that by using a faster shutter speed.

It's more about the light, than the lenses.

The scene is not brightly lit, except the setting sun at the top of the frame, and the photograph posted is under exposed by quite a bit. I estimate the under exposure of the subjects at about 2 stops.
The child has dark eye sockets (raccoon eyes) because both the light quality and the light direction are quite poor.

Some fill flash would have solved a couple of problems:
1. The light quality would have been improved.
2. the short duration of the flash would have 'stopped' the camera/subject motion.

The flash would have also created a lighting ratio, with the subjects brighter than the background, which would have helped to separate the subjects from the background.
Good separation of the subjects from the background, often called 'pop', gives a people shot a better feeling of depth and focuses attention on the people.

Since you intend "to be taking pictures of families" in the future, I highly recommend learning more about light quality and direction as it applies to making people photos.
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash: Techniques for Digital Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
..my subjects are fuzzy! ..

I've been reading a lot about the 35mm, 50mm, and 85 mm but have no clue what would work best for portraits. Any advice?
Developing good technique is a worthwhile endeavor. Learn to hold the camera steady while pressing the shutter button. There are probably some videos online to help you.

Also; is there any kind of glass filter screwed onto the front of your lenses? If so, take them off. The engineers at Nikon have designed some pretty good lenses, the 18-55 being one of them. If you then place some foreign object between the lens and your subject, you have compromised the original optics. The absurd but illustrative corollary is like stretching plastic food wrap over the front of your lens to "protect" it.

Both the 35 and 50 are too wide IMO for portraiture. The 85mm is an excellent lens and will work well for individual portraits.

I can't get blurry backgrounds with my 18-55 but they seem to be a little more clearer.
If you consider all the factors that affect the DOF, you will see that one of those things is the focal length of the lens. A wide angle lens will have a deeper DOF (all other factors being equal) than a longer lens. If you're attempting to blur the background, optimize most or all of the factors that affect the DOF. Here is one calculator:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Thank you all for your insight! I'll need to read over everything carefully to see what I can do to change things.

My white balance is set to auto and my ISO says low1. Is there a way to have auto ISO or do I need to change this each time I am shooting?

I have been watching videos, but I guess I need a TONS more practice and maybe need to take some classes.

Last edited:
Thank you!!! One of you mentioned a filter on my lens....yes, I do have the uv filter that I use. A local photographer suggested this to me, but would that affect the quality of my photos? Also, I do have basic flash that I can put on my camera that I just received as a gift. I believe that it says I can use it off the camera too. I'll have to start experimenting with it to see if it helps with the lighting!

This information has all been super helpful. I'm going to do some more practicing and then post again to let you all know how it goes with these tips. :)

Thank you!!! One of you mentioned a filter on my lens....yes, I do have the uv filter that I use. A local photographer suggested this to me, but would that affect the quality of my photos?.........

Unless it's a high-dollar filter, it probably will noticably degrade the image. Use a solid hood instead.

Thank you!!! One of you mentioned a filter on my lens....yes, I do have the uv filter that I use. A local photographer suggested this to me, but would that affect the quality of my photos? Also, I do have basic flash that I can put on my camera that I just received as a gift. I believe that it says I can use it off the camera too. I'll have to start experimenting with it to see if it helps with the lighting!

This information has all been super helpful. I'm going to do some more practicing and then post again to let you all know how it goes with these tips. :)
Take the filter off.
Take a look (visually) with something that has a lot of detail on it.
Then put the filter in front of your eye and look at it. Keep going back and forth with and without the filter. Do you notice a significant difference? The sensor probably does, thus a loss of detail/IQ.

Cheap plastic filters are the worse. cheap glass ones are better. They get better and better as the price approaches, say $30 and more for a UV filter. Really good UV filters can run over $75 each.
quick picture example of a $20 vs $75 filter ==> This Is Why You Shouldn't Buy a Cheap UV Filter for Your Lens

Most reactions

Back